Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

You are missing the point.
If ebikes were sold with the 15mph restrictions or 20mph which do you think would sell the most .

Alex321

Veteran
If ebikes were sold with the 15mph restrictions or 20mph which do you think would sell the most .

I doubt it would make a significant difference.

If you were a America business trying to export your bikes it would be easier to do .

Maybe very slightly, though against probably not enough to notice.

But if things are imposed for safety reasons (which this limit is), we don't change them just to make trading easier.

And I don't think the 15mph limit is anything to do with the EU anyhow. It would be 15.5 if it were (25kph)

Alex321

Veteran
I thought.this was a friendly ebike forum with people given there ideas and advice .
You are questioning why a safety measure should be what it is, when relaxing it could (you believe) make trading easier.

He was just extrapolating that to other legislation we have in place for safety reasons.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you were a America business trying to export your bikes it would be easier to do .

It's a software setting, that's all. It would make no difference to their ease of export to foreign markets.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

But if things are imposed for safety reasons (which this limit is), we don't change them just to make trading easier.

And I don't think the 15mph limit is anything to do with the EU anyhow. It would be 15.5 if it were (25kph)

No you are correct in what you are saying but most people want a bit extra speed it did have a lot to do with the EU hence the Km measurements .

Alex321

Veteran
No you are correct in what you are saying but most people want a bit extra speed it did have a lot to do with the EU hence the Km measurements .
Actually, I only just realised it isn't 15mph as many say, but 15.5 - which indeed fits with 25kph.

So it probably was a limit chosen by the EU. Which isn't a good reason to change it though. We have other similar values which are also unlikely to change - such as the requirement for a car speedo to read between the true speed and (true speed + 10% + 2.4mph) where the 2.4mph is the equivalent of 4kph.

Looking further - it appears that law dates back to 2015. I hadn't realised it was that long ago.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Maybe it's because legislating for increase of speed on narrow and often crowded shared tracks in a densely-populated, heavily-trafficed country, would be, well, somewhat dangerous for all users?
Exactly nearly been knocked down by idiots in town myself.

There are not really that many people who want an increase in the cut off speed - as demonstrated by 2 recent petitions to the government

neither gained many signatures despite a lot of people on forums trying to drum up support

and - as said above - many bikes are sold in both places - it the cut off is the only problem then it is just a software setting - or at the most a ROM setting on a chip.

The main difference is the motor power - max 250W in EU/UK - much higher allowed in the USA - but I can;t see there being any willingness to up this in parliament - there is enough anti-cyclist stuf as it is - imagine the headlines in the Mail if they quadrupled the motor power allowed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom