Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As lomg as you are not trying to compare it to temps reported by others or found in forecasts then yes. Otherwise it introduces a lot of inconsistency when comparing temps.

As lomg as you are not trying to compare it to temps reported by others or found in forecasts then yes. Otherwise it introduces a lot of inconsistency when comparing temps.
Yes. If you want to record air temperature, put your garmin in one of these (out of the wind and sun, with good air flow)
6644102.jpg

While I'm sharing images, this is from Wikipedia to illustrate the heatwave that lead to the Australian bush fire disaster of 2009....

800px-Candles_in_the_heat.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We were out in 35°c today. Plenty of suncream, loads of little sips of water and ease back on the speed- 10.2mph average speed over 28.5 miles.

Take it steady.

Slick

Guru
Almost, it looked like the south of France to me.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm enjoying riding in the hot weather, I hope it lasts.

But, riding too fast in this weather seems like a big mistake.
Riding fast never seems to be the problem...don't get too hot due to evaporation, just got to make sure I drink loads
Long rides with a lot of climbing are verboten right now. V little evaporation slogging up Holme Moss at 6mph so overheating becomes very uncomfortable

GuyBoden

Guru
Riding fast never seems to be the problem...don't get too hot due to evaporation, just got to make sure I drink loads
Long rides with a lot of climbing are verboten right now. V little evaporation slogging up Holme Moss at 6mph so overheating becomes very uncomfortable

If you don't believe me, you might believe the experts:
"The harder you work the more you will sweat, so if it’s really hot and you’re starting to feel it, romping through your drinks, knock off your pace or shorten your ride. And don’t forget in among all the drinking to pay attention that you are eating enough on your ride, too."

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...g-five-tips-to-help-you-keep-your-cool-180053

Just for information I've suffered from heat syncope (fainting; who knew there was a word for it?)

I felt hot, but ok. I was walking and talking under shade. The next moment something grey was rushing towards me - the ground, and the next moment after that I was lying on a St John's Ambulance cot with a cold compress on my forehead.

Just a slightly awkward situation at a sporting event with a first aid room, but it could be catastrophic on the road.

So yeah, if you start to feel the negative effects of heat, it's probably a good idea to find some shade and water and get your core temperature under control.

(heat syncope is when your blood vessels expand to try to drop your body temp, and the sudden drop in blood pressure is followed by a sudden drop in consciousness)

Top Bottom