Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
One to while away these cold winter days....

For me it's 25C. It's so damn hilly here. Doing long climbs (obviously slowly) on hot days is purgatory. Flat rides I could manage more than 25C but on the exceptionally rare days it's hotter than that in the Peak District, the bike stays at home

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not too fussed, we rarely get anything here in the UK that is 'too hot', just tend to ease off the pace and take plenty of fluids..

Alan O

Über Member
I've only ever cycled in the UK, so I haven't come close to finding it yet!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
One to while away these cold winter days....

For me it's 25C. It's so damn hilly here. Doing long climbs (obviously slowly) on hot days is purgatory. Flat rides I could manage more than 25C but on the exceptionally rare days it's hotter than that in the Peak District, the bike stays at home

On your rather excellent Scarborough ride last year, my Garmin topped out at 28.0°C although it didn't feel excessively hot at the time (the average for the whole ride was a much more reasonable 18.6°C). Maybe the awesome speed we were all doing cooled us down...?;)

I've been out a couple of times when it's been consistently in the high 20's, but it soon starts getting hard work when you hit a hill or two.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Wish I had the opportunity more often to find if I had an upper limit but up here in the frozen waste land mid 20's is usually as high as we get.

Certainly I've climbed in Mallorca in the 30's without too many problems.

I climbed Mount Etna on Sicily when it was in the 30s and I suffered like a dog. It was a 20km climb however

On the flat I'm fine with any UK temperature. But 6mph up a long hill and working hard it feels like I've sprung a leak

Slick

Guru
I've never performed well in hot conditions. I've worked lots abroad, middle east and the like and I wilted pretty quickly so I would imagine cycling would be much the same. I think I've just acclimatised to the my own climate and it rarely includes heat.

Top Bottom