Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did 170 miles in 28 degrees centigrade last year. That was bordering on uncomfortable, I got some serious leg cramps when my on board water supply ran out.

jay clock

Massive member
Ironman Switzerland in 2013 it was 39 degrees on the bike.. Luckily I am slow anyway so a late afternoon rain storm dropped it to about 27 for the run (aka walk aka shuffle)

mynydd

Veteran
One sunny day in Snowdonia last June
IMG_0796.JPG

[QUOTE 4650980, member: 259"]It depends on the humidity.[/QUOTE]

This is key. The other key is acclimatisation. I am not very good with heat, I have fainted from heat on quite a few occasions. That being said, when I am acclimatised 35 would be about my maximum on a non-humid day, with a breeze blowing towards the equator. When I'm in the UK, 25 can feel "hot"

Still makes me smirk to call 25C hot.

One sunny day in Snowdonia last June View attachment 334630
Temperature in the sun and air temperature (as the met measures) are quite different things. I am betting the official temperature that day was ~20C below that.

Edit:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/regional-climates/wl#temperature

"The highest temperatures usually occur furthest away from the cooling influence of the Atlantic, the record in Wales being 35.2 °C at Hawarden Bridge (Flintshire) on 2 August 1990. However, when a hot airstream arrives from the east, maxima along the coasts can equal those inland, an example being the 31.8 °C achieved at Aberporth (Ceredigion) on 2 August 1995."

Last edited:

mynydd

Veteran
Holy Trump, 431 Celsius!
Hot place, snowdonia ^_^
Temperature in the sun and air temperature (as the met measures) are quite different things. I am betting the official temperature that day was ~20C below that.

At least :laugh: my ice cream still melted though :becool:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It'll get to about 40C in the shade round my alpine retreat, and that's definitely warm: I'll still cycle, but will probably head up to higher ground during the warmest part of the day, if I can. I find 30C there perfectly bearable while moving, 35C is getting sticky, though the low humidity means it's not suffocating. Just don't stop in the sun.... these were the temperatures on my balcony early August (in the sun, for the maximum):

DSC03422.20150803blog.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
About 40°c. I've walked around Washington DC in such temperatures and cycling would be preferable but bike lanes and bike hire were rare when I was there. I did cycle around Miami a couple of times but the temperature had dropped to mid 30s by then - I've cycled in hotter in the sun in the UK!

In summer, I often cycle in long sleeved hiking shirts, iso cool type trousers and a legionnaires hat. There's not much shade in the fens so it's good to keep the sun off!

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe 10 years ago when I was fit I did a 50 mile ride in 30 to 32 degrees and didn't mind it. Couldn't get my gear off when I got home mind, stuck to my skin.

It was so hot you could hear the melting tarmac sticking to the tyres, a wierd sound like riding over cornflakes.

Conversely, I detest the cold, struggle to get out at all in the winter.

Top Bottom