Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to ride my bike in the NT, Australia. It would be around 34 degrees C or so. A steady 10 or 11mph gave me a nice breeze which was nice. Darwin is pretty flat so no problems with hills for anything. I took lots of water, always. Once the 'build up' took a proper hold, not so much riding as it was like cycling through treacle with the humidity.

It'll get to about 40C in the shade round my alpine retreat, and that's definitely warm: I'll still cycle, but will probably head up to higher ground during the warmest part of the day, if I can. I find 30C there perfectly bearable while moving, 35C is getting sticky, though the low humidity means it's not suffocating. Just don't stop in the sun.... these were the temperatures on my balcony early August (in the sun, for the maximum):

View attachment 334632
Occam's razor says the thermometer is broken. Hottest temperature recorded on planet earth is 56C. Even in full sun, I really doubt it reached that temperature.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Occam's razor says the thermometer is broken. Hottest temperature recorded on planet earth is 56C. Even in full sun, I really doubt it reached that temperature.
If it's 40C in the shade, in full sun things (and people) will store the heat and get warmer than the air temperature. As soon as the sun stops shining directly on it, the measurements return to sensible (about 10-15C less).

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
when i was in canada a few years back (Summer) cycled from Banff to Lake Louise and back was about 35c, tough day in the saddle

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't get much less than 26c down here year round. Quite amusing when the locals start putting on sweatshirts if it drops below. I draw the line at around 33c. Thankfully humidity is low.

simonsch

Above 40 degrees and my dad gets out his big water bottle (750 ml). He laughed at me insisting on carrying 1.5L. More seriously, I usually go cycling in 35-40 if I go home to Australia for Xmas, it is no problem at all when you are moving (slowing down on climbs though you feel it). The sun is more the issue. If is 40 or above, I wait until evening to go out, or get up early.

I've never performed well in hot conditions. I've worked lots abroad, middle east and the like and I wilted pretty quickly so I would imagine cycling would be much the same.

I worked in the ME and Africa when I was a kid - plus 40° was not uncommon - it takes about 3 months for your body to acclimatise and then its only marginal - more getting used to it mentally and taking care of the body by hydrating properly and getting enough essential salts - when i've been cycling in southern Europe and it is hot I find I can fall back on that experience

Ive cycled when the temperature touched 40° (official temperature) on a number of occasions in the south of France and occasionally in Croatia and Spain - hotter on the bike tho and definitely time to find somewhere to hide - above 35° not so much the sun being a problem but the heat radiating from the road

Hottest temperature recorded on planet earth is 56C

Supposedly the thermometer was broken that day as well :smile: - notwithstanding that the temperature in the sauna at my gym is higher than that every day

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the only thing the temperature does is help me decide which direction to go. If it's baking hot I'll avoid the hills and head south and west towards blackpool and fylde, it's as flat as a pancake. There's a route to Knott End and the biggest 'climb' is a canal bridge over the Glasson branch of the Lancaster Canal... that's a great route for hot summer days where long slow climbs are best avoided.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
the only thing the temperature does is help me decide which direction to go. If it's baking hot I'll avoid the hills and head south and west towards blackpool and fylde, it's as flat as a pancake. There's a route to Knott End and the biggest 'climb' is a canal bridge over the Glasson branch of the Lancaster Canal... that's a great route for hot summer days where long slow climbs are best avoided.
I have that area bookmarked for the summer day on which I finally decide to have a go at doing a 5 hour imperial century! I worked out a 14.3 mile circuit which I will have to tackle 7 times to get my 100 miles in. (Moss Edge, fringes of Garstang, Winmarleigh, Stake Pool, and back to Moss Edge.) It will only have a total of 1,200 ft of climbing in 100 miles, so about as flat as one could realistically hope for. Definitely not a ride for a hot day though ...

I am like nickyboy - 25 degrees is about as hot as I like it. I can tolerate the heat a lot better since losing weight but I still prefer the range 20-25 degrees. I can cope with 30 but prefer not to. I have done some hilly rides in the low 30s and found that it was gruelling rather than fun.

Temperatures above 25 are better suited to sitting in the shade with a cold drink and something good to read!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It got pretty hot on the Fridays' Tour last year
Hottest was 34C, we had three days at 30C. I've ridden alongside the Canal du Midi in 38C, but that was in the shade and next to water and obvs there was a 10mph headwind. In the desert of northwestern Australia = the Pilbara - I've worked at 110F, that was ok but every degree above that was really noticeable. I find a cycle helmet helps to protect your bonce from the heat.

dodgy

Col de la Colombiere, 21st July 2015, that was the day when I discovered my limits. Peak recorded temperature of 39c while ascending, I had to stop about 20 times, I usually grovel up it but don't have to stop. Lower left shows temperature from Garmin sensor (the squared off line) and the nearby met station (the smoother solid filled shape).
colombiere.JPG

Top Bottom