Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It might sound a bit silly, but apart from the 'acclimatisation' bit, mentally, I just 'give in to being warm' (after the winter, it's not an unpleasant feeling anyway), and do the British understatement thing, saying "hmm, it's a little on the warm side today". If you convince yourself you're too hot, then you will be, and you'll hate it. I do the same thing with mountains, and just call them big hills. Well, that's all they are, really, when you're cycling up them.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Hotter n Hell Hundred in North Texas a couple years back......109F / 43C with a 15mph hadwind for the last 20 miles. 'Gawd dayum' as they say in Texas.

La Marmotte 2013: temperature ranged between 13 and 40 degrees. You can see the inverse relationship with altitude.

View attachment 334715
That the year I did it,my computer recorded a max of 41deg C :ohmy: That was probably at a water stop but looking at the chart it was consistently 36deg C+ for long periods of time.
Capture.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hotter n Hell Hundred in North Texas a couple years back......109F / 43C with a 15mph hadwind for the last 20 miles. 'Gawd dayum' as they say in Texas.
A mate of mine is out there for the winter. The swine has been sending back reports of rides in temperatures of 25-28C over Christmas/NY ... His girlfriend lives there and she had overnight temperatures in the mid-30s in early spring last year! :eek:

Are the glares from people wearing cheap caps?
Tis blinding.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've ridden in the high 30sC and had no issues, until we stopped, at which point liquid pored out of me until shade and several cool beers did their trick.

I've ridden in the high 30sC and had no issues, until we stopped, at which point liquid pored out of me until shade and several cool beers did their trick.
This is true. Getting to work and sitting under a fan to stop the sweat pouring off.

Reactions: mjr

Proto

Legendary Member
I climbed Galibier year before last, temperature 35 or 36°C. Got too much, stopped at the little hut half way for some cool drink and water. Was close to being unbearable.

Daughter was in the Tour Down Under last year. Guesting for an Australian team, she was ill prepared, and with not much team support. Pulled out on stage 3, a road stage around Adelaide hills. Temperature hit 45°C. Ran out of fluids, started to feel dizzy and sick, headache, so she pulled out. She was heartbroken but a wise decision.

Last edited:

Toemul

Had this for 8 days through france, well into the 40s by late afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20160719_122354393_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160719_122354393_HDR.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20160719_113217005_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160719_113217005_HDR.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 44

bondirob

I used to work in hot conditions and the nurse used to advise us on how to deal with it.
Your body takes a few days to adapt then copes much more efficiently with the heat also avoid caffeine and eat stuff like raisins.
I've cycled in about 40c in Australia it was warm but OK I was living there though if I had to do it now as a one off I'd struggle.

Top Bottom