Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Last time I did the Fairies 300 audax, back in 2007, it was warm enough when we set off at 2am to ride with bare arms and legs and not even a gilet by way of extra layers. By lunchtime, it was uncomfortably warm, too hot to be enjoyable. Not sure of the exact temperature but high 20s at least, almost certainly over 30ºC at the hottest part of the day.

I'm doing the Fairies 300 again this weekend and it looks like being similar conditions according to the forecast, mid to high 20s. That should be OK but I wouldn't want it much hotter.

Also thinking of doing the club 10 tomorrow evening but that's going to be really hard work in the heat.

Be sure to drink plenty and have salty foods. I got dehydrated over weekend on an audax and average speed plumetted till I had done multiple pub stops to take on liquids and salty foods.

Slick

Guru
I'm a bit of a shrinking violet when it comes to heat but I'm loving the current spell. I'm having a rest day tomorrow but they reckon the temperature could hit an all time high here Thursday and I'm damn sure I'm not missing it. A big run might be different but my 30 mile commute is just too good an opportunity to work up a good sweat.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Be sure to drink plenty and have salty foods. I got dehydrated over weekend on an audax and average speed plumetted till I had done multiple pub stops to take on liquids and salty foods.

I'll be carrying plenty of electrolyte tabs. And two large bidons.

And suncream, of course. I don't think I was carrying suncream last time and paid the price.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It is just to hot for me. 28 deg in the house at the moment. I did go out yesterday, but made sure it was early. I do not do well in this kind of heat.

Salar

A fish out of water
Rode a couple of miles at walking pace in the heat the other day with the dog attached to me with a bungee lead on traffic free track.
Didn't want to over exert him in the heat.

He loves it,................mad dogs and Englishman comes to mind.

Last edited:

Biker Joe

Über Member
At the moment I'm out for a ride around 8 o-clock in the morning and try to get back before 11 o-clock. The temperatures are nice then. In my younger days I would ride in the heat but at 74 I take a bit more care now. Acclimatization is the key.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today is too hot, and my legs don't like the heat. Tomorrow is going to be the same, and I'm pedalling around London for most of it. I think lots of suncream, a hat, much drinking and some of my special tablets will see me to the planned 100 miles..

Biker Joe

Über Member
Today is too hot, and my legs don't like the heat. Tomorrow is going to be the same, and I'm pedalling around London for most of it. I think lots of suncream, a hat, much drinking and some of my special tablets will see me to the planned 100 miles..
Rather you than me.:sweat:

I don't cope with hot weather at all well. But then I'm the person that managed to get horribly sunburnt riding the DunRun (yes, that's an overnight ride) in 2010, and who once did a night right from York to Whitby - right over the tall hilly windy bits - in October and set off wearing 3/4s, a t-shirt and a strappy shouldered vest as a base layer, with a thin fleece in my bag 'just in case' and ended up doing half the ride in my vest because it was much too hot. I did put my t shirt back on for a bit when we stopped to brew up - in a layby, just by the Hole of Horcum. It was a touch breezy, y'see.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are ways and means.
sl.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Loving it. Low 20's here and I find that ideal. Up to 30C I am happy with, and above that is uncomfortable - but I adjust the effort to the temperature. If it's too hot, I slow down!
The weekend was one of the best I remember on a bike. Largs to Newton Stewart on Friday, Dumfries on Saturday, Carlisle on Sunday. 170 miles of quiet roads, breathtaking scenery in places, and perfect weather. I intend to enjoy this weather for as long as it lasts - after all it has been a long winter, from 1976 until now!

"It's toooooo hot" brigade?? Give us peace; you get it your way 99% of the time.

NCN 7 in the Scottish sun:

DSC01777.JPG

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
28 degrees at 3.30 this afternoon, home, on the bike for a 17 miler at 15 mph average which isn't earth shattering but I had to work at it...no problem, arrived home, barely out of breath but quite sweaty.....and loved every minute of it.
The warmer the better, a few years ago I did a 50 miler, hard, probably averaged 17 mph, in 30 plus degrees, arrived home so wet with sweat I couldn't get my gear off..but again, had a big cheesy grin on my face. It was so hot you could hear the tarmac sticking to the tyres, it sounded like I was cycling through cornflakes.
The downside to this is....i HATE the cold and find it remarkably difficult to get out anywhere near 5degrees, let alone colder.

Top Bottom