Maximum temperature you're happy to cycle in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
None of those seem to cover bib shorts to me. How did you think it did?
because they were clearly named after bib and braces. How they got the name "bib shorts" rather than "brace shorts" when the bib part was dispensed with an accident of history, like the bizarre fact that one clips into clipless pedals.

Screenshot_20180702-125433.jpg

Screenshot_20180702-125457.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
because they were clearly named after bib and braces. How they got the name "bib shorts" rather than "brace shorts" when the bib part was dispensed with an accident of history, like the bizarre fact that one clips into clipless pedals.
Or possibly that the bit that's missing is the shape of a bib as in bib-and-tucker, like I wrote...

Kajjal

Guru
Did some mountain biking in 33C yesterday and it was brutal. The ground and air were really putting up some heat , and when I stopped in full sun it was even worse. The more shaded bits and by the water were fine.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This is the temperature graph from my ride yesterday...

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 18.38.14.png

I was a bit alarmed by the 36ºC max until I looked more closely at the data - the three spikes you can see on the graph are when I was stopped and had put the Garmin away inside my saddlebag, where it was obviously a bit warmer than outside.

Garmin devices tend to over-estimate temperatures anyway so I always assume it's likely to be a few degrees cooler than it shows on the display.

mgs315

I’d say the heat on the club ride on Sunday was probably about my comfortable limit to ride hard. The actual riding wasn’t the problem, it was the heat when stopped whilst the body is still busy generating its own from exercise that gets me.

Slow paced ride tomorrow methinks. Will try take more water though, I ran out of my 2x 600mls at about 35 miles of a 43 miler done. Thankfully it was mostly downhill home!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Isn't the bib the dip at the front? So bibless ones would be solid fronted = you'll be wearing spandex dungarees? xx(
Oh,i don't know what they're called! :scratch:All i know is they have a dip at the front and a high back with braces. I've just got back from a ride. I wore my plain shorts( no high bits or braces). They were comfier than those high waist thingies!

MountainSide

All the damn roads are melting near me in the UK heatwave. It sounds like I'm lifting the road up which must be slowing me down and I have to keep stopping to remove chunks of "road" stuck to my tyres. Even the train tracks are buckling. Set to last another month apparently.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was close to 40°C at the end of the Calais-Brindisi when I rode it. I was forced into long sleeves, and the water in the bidons tasted like tepid bath-water.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That will be the temp in direct sunlight which is always higher than the ambient temp.

I need to fit a portable Stevenson screen to my bike and put the Garmin inside that. Obviously my saddlebag isn't ventilated enough for the job, hence the big spikes on the graph.

Garmin do say in their FAQs that temperature accuracy can be affected by the device being in direct sunlight, so I always assume the on-screen figures are a few degrees higher than reality. It was still bloody hot yesterday though.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Too hot for me at the moment.

Was on bike at 7am on Saturday, 6am on Sunday and 7am yesterday to avoid the heat.

Got up at 6am today intending to be out by 7am and just couldn't face it again - even early in the morning I have ended up drenched in sweat and with itchy eyes from from all the pollens.

Will try again tomorrow nice and early.

Also I have a very long mountain hiking day planned for Friday with my mate although I am thinking of baling out - 7500' of ascent/descent planned and tbh in this heat that'll be purgatory.

Bring back overcast days soon.... :smile:

si_c

Guru
25°C here at the moment, looking at the clock wondering if I can leave early and get an extended ride home in the sunshine!

Top Bottom