May I have a quick rant please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I recently met a Canadian, and he was so pleased that I recognised that he was Canadian and not American, I thought he was going to give me a hug. What would happen if you met an American and said you thought they were Canadian? Arch might be able to help on this one.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
They'd ask you what a Canadian is and you'd say it's somebody from Canada and they'd then ask, "Oh is that in Milwaukee?"

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch I've been working on it for you.

Collect a few used T bags and, ensuring they are vert wet, leave them on her seat.

She'll then have to go home to change. So some peace and quiet will be yours. :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
stricktly speaking, it isn't. american is a nationality, not a race.

btw american lady of my acqaintance visited a mutual friend, who had given birth 4 days previously. despite this, and despite living no more than a mile away, she insisted on getting driven home by someone who'd not long given birth :biggrin:

i'm sure they're not all like that, but she doesn't help dispell any preconceptions does she?

it's clear that some people ascribe a set of unfortunate or unpleasant qualities to 'Americans'. I'm presuming the word is used to describe those who living the USA - residents of Mexico or Columbia are just as 'American', but there you go. Be that as it may, it's neither fair, nor borne out by experience, nor does it reflect well on this forum.

asterix

Comrade Member
alecstilleyedye said:
stricktly speaking, it isn't. american is a nationality, not a race.

btw american lady of my acqaintance visited a mutual friend, who had given birth 4 days previously. despite this, and despite living no more than a mile away, she insisted on getting driven home by someone who'd not long given birth :biggrin:

i'm sure they're not all like that, but she doesn't help dispell any preconceptions does she?

Simon L& +0.5 can say what he likes, but unfortunately since a long time, I can't remember meeting a citizen of the USA who does dispell such preconceptions. I know they must exist (e.g. Sheldon Brown) but where the hell are they?

Unfortunately the USA suffers from an apalling ambassador in the shape of their government and President. They seem to have a penchant for treating the rest of the work (and its resources) as if they own it, or some such concept. When will the decent citizens of the USA have the guts to give them and their supporters the heave-ho?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Simon half etc is right that not all Yanks are twats but they have a higher than average percentage that are.
Anyway, what's wrong with a bit of USA bashing now and again, it's good sport.:biggrin:
Every nationality has an ill-informed opinion of other nations/races so why should we have to be Pc?:biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
simon l& and a half said:
this thread, with some honourable exceptions, is racist. Pure and simple. Take a look at yourselves.

Alright then. Take out references to her being American. She's still worthy of a rant in my eyes, for her disruptive behaviour and selfish attitude. For the record, most of us also depise her creepy husband, who is British.

As for simoncc questioning the point of a rant, that just about takes the biscuit. BBC anyone?

To those of you who took my rant at face value, had a laugh, and cheered me up, thanks. I just needed to let off steam, because I had the feeling she was upsetting people I care about.

Arch - I accept that her behaviour is untoward verging on nuts. My point was similar to the one you made yourself - if you had described her as Jewish, black, Chinese, or even Australian there would have been a collective intake of breath. For some reason it's open season on 'Americans'. Sure you can take a view on the Bush regime, which is, as somebody pointed out, a terrible advertisement for the country - but that's a different thing.

rich p said:
Simon half etc is right that not all Yanks are twats but they have a higher than average percentage that are.

Are you sure about that?

Anyway, what's wrong with a bit of USA bashing now and again, it's good sport.:biggrin:
Every nationality has an ill-informed opinion of other nations/races so why should we have to be Pc?:biggrin:

I used to be a big fan of jim davidson when I was 9 years old and living in a white, racist community! Just because you feel inferior to Americans does not give you the right to self righteous ignorance.

Top Bottom