May I take a short, casual, survey on the Fatzua system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Who has got either a Boardman ebike with Fatzua drive thingy or another similar bike ie with Fatzua?
1. Any problems with the Fatzua system?
2. Are you, overall, very happy with your bike.

Don't wan't to get into the Halfords crap service etc as that is (I think) a different subject.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The system has lost a little weight since you last looked - it's now called Fazua.

To be serious, there have been quite a lot of reliability niggles with it.

The hub motor technology on the other bikes you are considering is more established and reliable, although I think the cross bar mounted touch control may be too clever for its own good.

richtea

My wife has a Fazua-based Boardman HYB 8.9e. It's been reliable, and enjoyable for her to use (and for me to play on!).
It's the previous model (2019) to the current Fazua system, and so has a few foibles - the main one being a tricky battery release button. That's been improved with the new Fazua release mechanism. They also upgraded the software mid-way through last year which improved drive, so be sure to read older reviews with that in mind.

She has a bar-mounted controller, and has had no problems.

I don't see any fragility in the design - it's solid, well engineered, and has been through a few iterations to get this far. It's also been around for several years (2016 was the earliest I think).

I'd buy one for myself but I have an Orbea with the ebikemotion system - which I'd say is the main competitor. If I was given the chance to buy Fazua v ebikemotion at the same price, I'd buy Fazua. However, Fazia usually costs more, and my ebikemotion Orbea was a bargain well below Fazua prices.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I posted this as an edit yesterday but the edit seems to have disappeared :wacko:.
I went to see the Boardman yesterday and just didn't like it. Didn't like the BIG FAT down tube......or the weight**
Its still in the mix but I am going to see the Ribble today (if MrsD is well enough).
**I checked on a Cube yesterday. 25 KILOS:eek: as it uses the Bosch system.

CXRAndy

Guru
I posted this as an edit yesterday but the edit seems to have disappeared :wacko:.
I went to see the Boardman yesterday and just didn't like it. Didn't like the BIG FAT down tube......or the weight**
Its still in the mix but I am going to see the Ribble today (if MrsD is well enough).

Weight is only of concern when carrying bike- to be avoided ;)

My ebike will weigh in around 33kg, with panniers extra battery new lights more like 40-42KG :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The Bosch bike is more powerful and has a battery that will run for about twice as long, so you do get something for the extra timber.

The Ribble will also be relatively heavy and have a large down tube.

Batteries and motors are heavy and bulky - you cannae beat the laws of physics, captain.

In other words, some recalibration of expectations may be required.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pale Rider, as always, is wise. My Subway E (size L) weighed in at a needles width over 18kg on my scales, ready to ride with pedals, but without lights, guards, etc.

In 9 months of ownership one quicly gets talking to other E bike riders and looks over and has a feel of one another machines (paging @Fnaar), and that 18kg seemed like a boat anchor to me at first but Ive come to appreciate thats actually very light for a conventionally framed machine and have yet to encounter a lighter one in the wild. Thats why I regard claims of 13kg with great suspicion.

Most ebikes are very weighty, and like regular bicycles there is no universal industry standard for quoting a weight. You really need to get into a few stores and handle a couple of bikes to see how they feel for you rather than rely on the quoted weights, which, like MPG, are often a complete fiction.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See what the Ribble is like. There are plenty of horror stories about any 'drive system' - I know enough MTB'ers who've had problems with their eMTB's.

Read into it what you will. If the Ribble is lighter, then go for it. Most ebikes do weigh alot

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A swift scope about online suggests the Ribble is about a kilo lighter than the Boardman.

Only Dave will be able to say if that turns 'too heavy' into 'acceptable'.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I have a Cube Agree Hybrid, size 56, from 2018. I weighed it for a flight before I put it in a transport bag and it weighs in @15.5kg as I have it setup (lights, computer, cages, spares and saddle bag). It works very well for me and the way I use it.

I have had 2 issues with it. Both may have been, probably were, self inflicted.
1: The bolts holding the bottom bracket in place worked loose. This may have been due to a groupset upgrade (mechanical to Electronic) I had done but I can't be sure.
2: A battery retaining/stabilising arm on the lock broke. I may have been too heavy handed in installing or removing the battery. There is a knack to it.

I have 1500 miles on it (a medical problem prevented use) and aside from those 2 issues it has been just normal maintenance.

gzoom

Über Member
@Dave7 The Boardman is actually a very 'light' eBike, but I do agree eBikes are heavy especially versus road bikes.

The difference in 'feel' between my Fazua Boardman and sub 8kg road bike on a climb is night and day. The eBike is clearly easier to ride up a hill but it simply doesn't feel nice when really pushing it.

As it happens my Boardman is back with Halfords waiting for a new BB gear box from Fauza, last time the wait was so long for new parts they canablzied a showroom bike.

I think you would be happy with either, personally right now I woudlnt say no to swapping the Fazua system for the eMotion one. Infact I might just sell my Boardman when its fixed and buy an Ribble/Orbea/Scott with the eMotion motor.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
@Dave7 The Boardman is actually a very 'light' eBike, but I do agree eBikes are heavy especially versus road bikes.

The difference in 'feel' between my Fazua Boardman and sub 8kg road bike on a climb is night and day. The eBike is clearly easier to ride up a hill but it simply doesn't feel nice when really pushing it.

Snip
I am jumping between my Cube Agree C62 hybrid, Fazua powered, ebike (15.5kg), when on my own and my GT Grade AL X (10kg) (ETA not an ebike), when riding with my Brothers. My brothers don't like that I may be cheating when riding with them, as if :whistle:.

(Edit to clarify types of bike.)

The GT, although not a svelte bike in any imagination, feels a lot more nimble in almost all situations due to the 5kg weight difference. The Cube goes up hills better due to the motor but it can be a bit, err numb, handling wise :unsure:.

I like both bikes. The cube for the get out of jail ability, that I can use on longer rides. The GT for the satisfaction of knowing it was all me, when going up hills. I have to choose different routes and profiles when using each but that just means I have more roads I can ride :okay:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am jumping between my Cube ebike (15.5kg), when on my own and my GT Grade AL X (10kg), when riding with my Brothers. My brothers don't like that I may be cheating when riding with them, as if :whistle:.

The GT, although not a svelte bike in any imagination, feels a lot more nimble in almost all situations due to the 5kg weight difference. The Cube goes up hills better due to the motor but it can be a bit, err numb, handling wise :unsure:.

I like both bikes. The cube for the get out of jail ability, that I can use on longer rides. The GT for the satisfaction of knowing it was all me, when going up hills. I have to choose different routes and profiles when using each but that just means I have more roads I can ride :okay:.
I spoke to a Cube dealer yesterday. He told me they use Bosch AND ALL weigh around 25 Kg
10.5 Kg for the GT ebike seems very very light.

Top Bottom