May not exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking to replace my wife's bike as it's getting very worn out and the cost to replace all the parts is uneconomic.
Her requirements are fairly modest.
She likes a fairly upright riding position, step through frame and wants a 26" wheel.

Her existing bike was a Dawes mtb with a cheap suspension fork. To get the ride height I fitted a longer stem.
Everything we look at with a 26" wheel comes with an Ahead stem, meaning height adjustment is very limited.
Our riding is half over farm tracks and the rest on minor roads. We rarely do more than 40 miles and at a leisurely pace.
To add another complexity our budget is around £800 max.
If anyone knows of a bike that fits the bill I'd be very grateful.

si_c

Guru
You can use a steerer extender for Aheadsets if that helps, the link is an example not necessarily a recommendation, but they are fairly simple mechanically.

OP
OP
O

oldworld

You can use a steerer extender for Aheadsets if that helps, the link is an example not necessarily a recommendation, but they are fairly simple mechanically.
I've got one on my bike and it won't get the additional height she needs. She's tried my bike and gets pain in her back. I think it's the lack of adjustment that makes the Ahead such a poor design.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's a possibility but are they solid enough? We do ride over some very bumpy tracks and it would unnerve her if it moved. I've seen these advertised but don't know anyone who has one

I had a Speedlifter, and on another bike a stem like the one in @vickster's link.

Both are plenty solid, although not recommended for full on mountain biking.

The Speedlifter is adjustable on the fly, which I found handy a few times when I fancied a change of position mid-ride.

OP
OP
O

oldworld

Medium I think. She's around 5'-6".

All uphill

Still rolling along
As this is a difficult time to buy new is it worth reconsidering some work on her existing bike, assuming it fits her well?

A lot of repairs can be done for £100 to £200, especially if you diy or know someone who is competent.

OP
OP
O

oldworld

As this is a difficult time to buy new is it worth reconsidering some work on her existing bike, assuming it fits her well?

A lot of repairs can be done for £100 to £200, especially if you diy or know someone who is competent.
It may have to come to this but ideally I'd like to get her a new bike.
The very least it needs are new front and rear derailleurs, gear changers, front fork, new headset bearings and a new set of wheels. She's done over 50000 miles on it so maybe a time for a change

It may have to come to this but ideally I'd like to get her a new bike.
The very least it needs are new front and rear derailleurs, gear changers, front fork, new headset bearings and a new set of wheels. She's done over 50000 miles on it so maybe a time for a change
ah, with that amount a new bike may well be better - you'll benefit from bike manufacturer's volume on bits etc.

Top Bottom