Maybe not in the right job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Alright, I'll fall for it - I expect the Muslim in question was born in this flipping country, just like you.

If their religious beliefs stop them from doing their job..then they are in the wrong job. It isn't rocket science. Waitrose has a different approach and has had no such complaints from its staff apparently.

Linford

Let me know when one appears then, could you?

Isn't CycleChat open access to everyone, or have I got that one wrong Linford?

and as if like magic :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I may be missing something (I usually do: signposts; castles; that kind of thing) but doesn't Islam forbid the drinking of alcohol? I'm not sure it mentions anything about handling alcoholic goods. As to pork, I suppose that although muslims are banned from eating it, the checkout assistant could consider it "dirty" to handle but then again I cleaned the toilet the other day. My beliefs don't have anything to say about "dirty"

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's a non-story anyway quite apart from that. There are supervisor overides and other systems for similar problems like when a 16 or 17 year old is on a checkout where someone is buying alcohol. This is so routine I'm surprised it would make high up pieces in newspapers. I suspect a lot of the story is to do with Christmas and people being moved around departments to try and reduce queues.

ASC1951

Guru
If their religious beliefs stop them from doing their job..then they are in the wrong job. It isn't rocket science. Waitrose has a different approach and has had no such complaints from its staff apparently.
I absolutely agree. But that wasn't my point - I was questioning Numbnuts' assertion that this was somehow 'our' country more than that of a Muslim employee.

ASC1951

Guru
For a start, I want to know who owns the fracking land under my house.
In principle, you do. But when the subsoil includes anything actually worth having - gold, silver, oil, gas - The Crown has already legislated to take it from you. So just hand it over, please, and we'll say no more about it. Absolutely no flogging it off to put into the Caroline Lucas Photo-Op Fund.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

It's quite possible that it wasn't that person's job in the sense you are probably loosely referring to it.

At Christmas you could be being served by a store manager, a HR person, someone off bakery, off clothing or a temp with next to no training just chucked in the deep end. Would you rather queue longer or get served by these people with occasional things going wrong?

Most likely scenario is probably a supervisor had wandered off at that point dealing with a return + 5 different customer queries simultaneously so the person on their own initiative improvised. That or something like they said it's really really busy, can you help us out with a few customers for 30 mins. What happens if someone wants to buy alcohol, I can't sell it? Oh, don't worry we'll authorise it ourselves just buzz us, thanks very much.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Like it or not Jonny Foreigner and their religious beliefs have got us over a barrel, if they refuse to do pork ect and get the sack they will win the day in court for wrongful dismissal and will be laughing all the way to the bank.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's a non-story anyway quite apart from that....This is so routine I'm surprised it would make high up pieces in newspapers.
This time of year is, for papers, much like the summer 'silly season' - nowt occurring, and still all those yawning pages to fill...

TVC

Never mind, next week Damian Thompson promises to do a piece on cyclists and how they think they own the road.

Normal lazy discussion piece to stir up the comments board and generate internet traffic, and again we all fell for it.

compo

Veteran
Like it or not Jonny Foreigner and their religious beliefs have got us over a barrel, if they refuse to do pork ect and get the sack they will win the day in court for wrongful dismissal and will be laughing all the way to the bank.

But..... if you are a Christian whose religion forbids homosexuality and you refuse to accomodate gays in your Bed and Breakfast establishment you end up in court.

I also wonder how all the Muslim owned corner shops and local stores square their religion with selling alchohol.

martint235

Dog on a bike
With the UKIP poster about 29 millions Bulgarians and Romanians allowed to come to work here from next Weds, doesn't this also mean that circa 60 million Brits can go and work in Romania and Bulgaria?

TVC

Excellent, 'cos it's not like those nice English Christians have ever trooped off to warmer lands imposing their beliefs and getting them written in to the local laws.

Bugger, I got dragged in..... I need Tea and fluffyness.....

Top Bottom