McDonalds and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dear Mr or Ms Team

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST

First, let me congratulate you on your unusual and distinctive name, which drew my attention. Do you have any siblings with similar names? I bet you have a sister called Customer Services, don't you? - she seems to move jobs quite a bit and I think I've probably dealt with her several times.

In light of your earlier response:

please supply me with a copy of the policy to which you refer.

Since you have decided not to allow cyclists to use the drive-through on safety grounds, presumably there is a

Risk Assessment covering use of the drive-through. Please give me access to this too.

I await your response to these two points within 14 days.

Yours sincerely

Uncle Phil

....No, of course I haven't. And anyway private companies like McD's aren't, I believe, covered by the FOAA. But it might be fun to ask.
Done, as per given by you. Now await the respomse.

Bman

Guru
I created a thread on here not long ago after I was refused service at a local branch of McDonalds. In response to my complaint, I also received the same reply as posted here about risk to cyclists.

This got me thinking, if they are actively refusing to serve cyclists because of this risk, They are assuming suggesting liability.

That brings me onto this :

The Red line shows my path if I were to use the Drive Through. The Drive Through is on the left side of the building.
The Blue line shows my path if i were to lock my bike up using the provided bike racks (top left corner)

As you can see, the two paths are not very different and personally, can see less risk in using the Drive Through than undertaking all the cars queuing for the Drive Through, to use the provided cycle racks. Not to mention you then have to cross the road as a pedestrian twice if using the bike racks (as opposed to the Drive Through)

I am yet to reply to McDonalds to see what their response would be in light of this :smile:

5KZJnbC.jpg

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think it would be good to see exactly what 'risk' a cyclist is when using the drive thru compared to travelling to the bike racks.

At my nearest McD's, there are no bike racks: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ab...GN-v-3hbL69DBo0lbgwzsA&cbp=12,142.28,,0,14.14
The one where I went yesterday: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ll...d=hLUU1Jplr73-EVNS6G1JDw&cbp=12,97.97,,0,9.65
And another which is fairly close does actually have some (but they dont look too secure): https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ca...=REHVHZBulPZ4cklNdKwAMw&cbp=12,104.32,,1,3.37

classic33

Leg End Member
I can't believe some people here are complaining about getting into a McDonalds.:wacko:
Given the number of adverts in which cyclists are used by them, to actually turn away something you are using in an advert smacks a little of double standards.

A few years ago the outsides of these places were painted green, to try & prove their green credentials.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Their first advert if I remember rightly had a tandem pull up at a red lights (no RLJ) outside Macdonalds the stoker jumped off went inside and came out with product before the lights changed. They don't serve that quickly now...

400bhp

Guru
Given the number of adverts in which cyclists are used by them, to actually turn away something you are using in an advert smacks a little of double standards.

A few years ago the outsides of these places were painted green, to try & prove their green credentials.

That wasn't really the point I was making, but that's more to do with my prose than anything.

I have very strong opinions about McDonalds, in my opinion they are at the extreme end of cynical marketing/business tactics (anyone seen/read about McLibel) and I try hard not to spend any of my hard-earned with them. Generally, the only time I visit an establishment is to use their toilets. I did buy a coffee off them 18 months ago, on a sunday afternoon when I was cycling back from Edinburgh and nowhere else was open. I think last time I had their hot "food" was about 20 years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dear Mr
Thank you for contacting us again in response to our e-mail. I am sorry for your continued disappointment

As a Company our continuous aim is to provide 100% customer satisfaction, we are well aware that we are not quite there yet and that mistakes do occur. Customer feedback such as yours helps us to eliminate system defects and set new targets for achievement and we are therefore very grateful that you brought this matter to our attention.

I can confirm that we do not have a written policy regarding our drive thru. All staff members are aware of the operational procedure that cyclists cannot be served using the drive thru lane.

I offer my apologies again for your disappointment on this matter and I trust you can fully appreciate the rationale behind this decision and hope that you will not be deterred from future visits to McDonald's.

Again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us.

Regards

Internet Response Team

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Dear Mr
Thank you for contacting us again in response to our e-mail. I am sorry for your continued disappointment

As a Company our continuous aim is to provide 100% customer satisfaction, we are well aware that we are not quite there yet and that mistakes do occur. Customer feedback such as yours helps us to eliminate system defects and set new targets for achievement and we are therefore very grateful that you brought this matter to our attention.

I can confirm that we do not have a written policy regarding our drive thru. All staff members are aware of the operational procedure that cyclists cannot be served using the drive thru lane.

I offer my apologies again for your disappointment on this matter and I trust you can fully appreciate the rationale behind this decision and hope that you will not be deterred from future visits to McDonald's.

Again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us.

Regards

Internet Response Team
If there is no written policy then there is no policy. They have no proof of any company rules or regulations and therefore cannot refuse cyclists service.
"All staff members are aware of the operational procedure that cyclists cannot be served using the drive thru lane." Cannot or will not? There is nothing stopping cyclists being served.

classic33

Leg End Member
If there is no written policy then there is no policy. They have no proof of any company rules or regulations and therefore cannot refuse cyclists service.
"All staff members are aware of the operational procedure that cyclists cannot be served using the drive thru lane." Cannot or will not? There is nothing stopping cyclists being served.
I'd say "will not"

Top Bottom