McDonalds and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Very nearly got refused at the McD Drive thru today. I went to the one in Llandudno as I just wanted a nibble to eat without going into a shop.
I got to the window, asked for a muffin, and the guy said "Okay, just wait there a minute". I saw him talking to people in the back and heard the guy say "well its a vehicle".

I suspect the convo went like this:
Window operator: "Theres a kid on a bike here asking for a muffin and I dont know whether or not to serve him"
Supervisor/Manager: "What type of bike?"
WO: "A push bike"
S/M: "Erm, well I suppose if its only for a muffin. The drive-thru is for vehicles normally"
WO: "Well a bike is a vehicle isnt it?"

The guy then came back to me and took my order.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
In all fairness, you are taking a mode of transport, with all the road gunk into a high hygiene rated restaurant...! Take a lock and lock it to one of railings. You then have a choice to sit inside by the window with your bike in view or sit on one of the benches outside next to your bike! :smile:
I agree

d87francis

I don't really understand why people need to take their bikes into shops or restaurants with them - if there aren't any cycle racks there are usually other points you can chain a bike too.
I've been caught out a couple of times without my lock, assuming it was still in my bag and it wasn't, or forgetting that I'd promised to fetch milk home. I always ask first if it's ok to take the bike in.
Asda, Dobbies and Halifax so far have been quite happy. I also use a local cafe bar that positively encourage me to take the bike in.
I do the exact opposite, firstly in Oxford it will take you half an hour to find a free bike rack or lamp post to lock your bike to as the council provide nowhere near enough. Then having removed anything that could be pinched and locked your wheels and frame, you have the fear of your bike being vandalised or stolen whilst you walk half a mile back to wherever you were going.

If you give up on your search for somewhere to lock your bike and decide to ask if you can bring your bike in there is a high chance you will be told "no". Whereas if you just go into a shop with your bike you can often be in and out before they notice or care. I wouldn't take my bike into a proper restaurant but any modern shop with wide enough aisles for disabled access has enough space to wheel a bike into, as would any fast food outlet should I forget to look after my body or decide to get a sh*t coffee.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I would not let a bike into a restaurant either - no offence but it is a matter of principle. If you let a bike in, then why not a moped or motorbike?
Yeah, or a pram or a wheelchair. Or a walking frame. Or a person wearing wellington boots. You have to draw the line somewhere or you might end up in some truly ludicrous situations

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yeah, or a pram or a wheelchair. Or a walking frame. Or a person wearing wellington boots. You have to draw the line somewhere or you might end up in some truly ludicrous situations
Some restaurants ask you to leave the pram somewhere out of the way rather than wheeling it through the restaurant. Also there are no cogs and oily chains on most prams. Same goes for wheelchairs, plus the fact that to exclude a wheelchair you would also have to exclude the customer as they haven't the luxury of leaving it outside. I don't see any grey areas between a wheelchair and a bike - but I'd be open for suggestions.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Have to wheel my bike through my kitchen to get to the shed where it sleeps. Not caught a disease yet.
I'm not sure they are that fussed about bicycles spreading disease, it's more the mud, oil and sharp things on a bike that they don't want near paying customers. I think it's perfectly reasonable to exclude bikes from places where you pay to eat.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I'm not sure they are that fussed about bicycles spreading disease, it's more the mud, oil and sharp things on a bike that they don't want near paying customers. I think it's perfectly reasonable to exclude bikes from places where you pay to eat.

You sound like mrs Silly :laugh:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I take my butchers bike through ours with out any hassle just the occasional smile and half the staff wanting to have a 'butchers' at it, other than the drinks don't half bounce about in the basket. I think I am going to have to fit cup holders to it. I am not locking it up just to go inside when it is quicker and easier to ride through the drive in.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
... it's more the mud, oil and sharp things on a bike that they don't want near paying customers.

Some railways stations take this view. So when you arrive with a loaded touring bike, you can't take it in with you when you go to buy a ticket. (Although the ticket office will be full of enormous people with enormous bags on wheels, bristling with pointy umbrellas and hiking poles... Oh, and you can't use the ticket machine outside, because that won't sell you the all-important bike reservation.

But you can't lock it up outside either - because then it's unattended luggage with its bags on. It's almost as if they don't want your money.

Funny how in a stable, spacious, well lit and stationary ticket office, a bike is such a deadly hazard, while on a dingy, swaying, packed train it's apparently perfectly harmless.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Response received today from McDonalds

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in McDonald's.

I would like to clarify that McDonald’s supports the health and environmental benefits of cycling, however it is our practice not to serve cyclists using the drive-thru lane or drive-thru service windows. The drive-thru facility is designed for motor vehicles and, on balance, we are concerned that use by cyclists could compromise their safety. In reaching this view we have consulted with our own Hygiene and Safety Department, the Highway Code, and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA). I can appreciate that this is not your desired response and I am sorry if this causes you further disappointment.
If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to revisit our web site or alternatively telephone us on the number below.

Regards

Internet Response Team

McDonald's Customer Services Department
11 - 59 High Road
East Finchley
London
N2 8AW

Tel: 08705 244622

Dear Mr or Ms Team

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST

First, let me congratulate you on your unusual and distinctive name, which drew my attention. Do you have any siblings with similar names? I bet you have a sister called Customer Services, don't you? - she seems to move jobs quite a bit and I think I've probably dealt with her several times.

In light of your earlier response:

please supply me with a copy of the policy to which you refer.

Since you have decided not to allow cyclists to use the drive-through on safety grounds, presumably there is a

Risk Assessment covering use of the drive-through. Please give me access to this too.

I await your response to these two points within 14 days.

Yours sincerely

Uncle Phil

....No, of course I haven't. And anyway private companies like McD's aren't, I believe, covered by the FOAA. But it might be fun to ask.

Top Bottom