McDonalds and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
2233633 said:
And to drink?

Vanilla or Banana shake ,, i will feel sick all day after the drink but worth it.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I've used the one at Cribbs Causeway in Bristol, and regularly park by bike inside.
The staff even remind me that I've left my lights on BTW the breakfast is great !

sidevalve

Über Member
I suspect one of the reasons many stores don't like the idea is that if someone trips over the bike it is they who will have to pay out the compensation bills. Cheaper to lose a few cyclist customers than pay out a six figure compo claim. Just the perils of living in this "compensation for everything" society we live in.

simon.r

Person
I'm sure I've read somewhere that their reason for not serving bikes in the drive-thru' is concern about people cycling away while trying to carry a bag of food and balancing a drink. Which doesn't sound unreasonable TBH. I've done it a couple of times and been served, but had to walk and push my bike after I've collected my food.

I use them quite often for coffee and apple pie when out on a ride - normally their design is such that you can leave your bike outside and still see it while you're ordering.

vickster

Legendary Member
slightly OT, my local Tesco metro firstly used to always cover the 1 x sheffield stand with the cardboard waste crates, then removed the stand completely, presumably it got in the way of more waste crates. My bike goes into the shop and up to the checkout with me.

Local Tesco petrol station doesn't allow bikes - it's my nearest place to buy milk and they don't provide racks so have to go into the main store - of course, the milk is as far from the door as it is feasible to get (if want more than a pint) :rolleyes:

I took a very muddy MTB into a Tesco Metro, I had no lock, and I just leant it up against the Andrex display :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Response received today from McDonalds

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in McDonald's.

I would like to clarify that McDonald’s supports the health and environmental benefits of cycling, however it is our practice not to serve cyclists using the drive-thru lane or drive-thru service windows. The drive-thru facility is designed for motor vehicles and, on balance, we are concerned that use by cyclists could compromise their safety. In reaching this view we have consulted with our own Hygiene and Safety Department, the Highway Code, and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA). I can appreciate that this is not your desired response and I am sorry if this causes you further disappointment.
If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to revisit our web site or alternatively telephone us on the number below.

Regards

Internet Response Team

McDonald's Customer Services Department
11 - 59 High Road
East Finchley
London
N2 8AW

Tel: 08705 244622

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
we have consulted with our own Hygiene and Safety Department, the Highway Code, and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).
When you first come to use drive-thru's yes. But I seriously doubt they have consulted them recently.

I would love to see the risk assessments on cyclists in the drive thru and what actual risks to safety there are. The only one being that the cyclist might fall over.
But what if a car breaks down, or someone drops something trying to reach to the delivery window from a car?

I bet there are many more safety risks with having cars in the driver thru than bikes.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Depends how large the cyclist was :whistle:

555192_433819830024735_622821412_n.jpg

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
But bikes in general aren't considered clean. Especially after a 30 mile ride for example. Or a week long winter commute. I'd like to think that most foor traffic through mcds doors showers more than once a week!
The dirt goes onto the floor, we are not animals.. we don't eat off the floor, its not like you are rubbing your bike across the tables and chucking it into the piles of burgers which are cooked. They have staff who clean the floors, im sure i bring more dirty walking across the wet grass to get to my local MD then a 30mile road trip on my bike, on the road.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Lock your bike outside. I have never taken mine into a shop or supermarket and as above think its a bit unfair to expect to do so. With regard to McDonald's their food is s***e, why would you want to consume the peasant food of the masses. As for drive through nothing like join a que for a heart attack
Peasant food? Calm down Mr Cameron

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
we are not animals..
Erm, are you sure about that?

I know what you mean though, but if is has been raining outside and you come in with road dirt on your bike, making tire marks around the floor, you can understand why someone wouldnt want to clean up after you.
But saying that, I have gone into KFC when it has snowed and saw plenty of muddy boot prints on the floor after the carpet.

Also, someone could bump into your bike or trip and it would be your fault for bringing it inside.

Top Bottom