Me head is wrecked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks for that Jonquilles ,yes i do like the look of the Cube but the size kinda worries me a bit. i seen a good review on utube guy says most cube bike a bit on the big size so be sure to get a test ride.
mind you the price is out of my price range.anyway enjoy your cycling thanks again.

richtea

i like it but whats the story on it.good battery power all the usual stuff.model price please.
The Boardman HYB 8.9e is light (for an ebike) at 15.5Kg, with matching relatively light assistance. If you ride on tarmac, it's a fine bike. Not tried it off-road.

> what I'm after is a bike that looks like a bike no suspension forks ,straight bars great battery ,good midrive motor go up hills like a motorbike

It has a well hidden mid-drive, and 'looks like a bike'.
If you want to 'go up hills like a motorbike ' (or you're a bit portly) then it's not enough power, with the legal max of 250W, and a relatively small 250Wh battery. As Orbea would say about their similar Gain ebike, it's to enhance your ride, not dominate it. You have to put some effort in yourself!

Priced around £2,000 - 2,100 when discounted by Halfords, which happens quite regularly. We bought ours in the New Year sale last year for £1950-ish.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
Oh I wouldn't mind be dominated when it comes to hills it's the reason I gave up cycling in the first place.
I can't for the life of me figure out why the speed is limited to 15mph😳
don't know much about ebikes as you probably can tell :blush: anyhoo not buying until next year hopefully.thanks for reply Richtea.

Drago

Legendary Member
Because the way the law has been written for decades makes 15.5mph the limit before the requirement for licencing occurs. A change would require rewriting of primary, secondary and.european legislation, which just isn't going to happen. In any case, there's nothing stopping you buying a bike that cuts out at a higher speed (a so called speed pedelec) provided you have the necessary licence and insurance like you would on any other type of moped. Sadly, many people think the law shouldn't apply to them simply because the bike has electric power, but it's quite right and proper that motor vehicles are regulated by law. The bar has to be set somewhere, and the point at which it currently stands is sufficient for commuters, the elderly, infirm etc to make good use of the current e bikes. If people want more they can either pedal faster or get a licence and insurance. Theres no free ride, and not should there be.

Am interested in the OP's quest for the future.
Many electric bikes look way too clunky to me, pointless suss etc. Or are slim race type things. Am waiting for a range of leccy bikes that look like quality 90s steel hybrids.
Can see myself taking up @raleighnut s conversion suggestion

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If I was a fan of e-bikes, and I'm not, I would seriously look at getting one of those Swytch kits and converting a known good bike. They look much better than the big horrid bulky dedicated e-bikes and a kit conversion is always reversible.
Yep I fitted 2, one to Maz's Dawes and one to my Trike, these were Cyclotricity kits but sadly the regulations changed and the company stopped selling them :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've had several YouTube adverts pop up recently for the Swytch kits, which look very practical. In fact I even let the advert run it's course rather than skipping it, unlike 99% of other ads I get bombarded with.
The motorised front wheel is supplied by them to size, and the power pack hangs off the bars. I'd imagine it's a fairly low capacity limited range unit to keep the weight & cost down, but unless you're just being lazy, the whole point is just a little help with hills & headwinds.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks for that Jonquilles ,2500 is way out of my reack sorry to say pity because it sounds exactly what im after.ill never do the miles i used to do my back is just to sore doubt it will ever get any better.
im saving hard tho and hopefully next year if all goes to plan.
thanks again happy christmas hope the new year is covid free.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I note your never ending quest for the ideal bike, :okay: while it may be frustrating, I found the same when I wanted a new road bike, I spent days, weeks even agonising over specs, prices, availability, everything. But I did end up with the right bike , although I remember sitting there what seemed like several weeks in....and thinking...ooooh, maybe, maybe, maybe this is the one...and in that instant thought, do it :angry: and pressed the buy button quite unexpectedly.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
I note your never ending quest for the ideal bike, :okay: while it may be frustrating, I found the same when I wanted a new road bike, I spent days, weeks even agonising over specs, prices, availability, everything. But I did end up with the right bike , although I remember sitting there what seemed like several weeks in....and thinking...ooooh, maybe, maybe, maybe this is the one...and in that instant thought, do it :angry: and pressed the buy button quite unexpectedly.
i always had op end carbon road bikes , my first good road bike was Raleigh 753 with full campag super record groupset back inthe 80,s still have that bike but not the groupset,also have bianchi road aluminium frame set,so you see where im coming from don't want to buy a donkey just for the sake of getting back in saddle.i have my eye on the cube touring hybrid looks a class bike but its over £2000.man where do they come up with these prices,last road bike i had was Look KX light full carbon custom wheels dura ace groupset bought it new didn't come close to the price of an ebike.personally i think we are all being ripped off.could be wrong tho i usually am.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Funny you mention the Motus. My wife has one, cost £1600 2 years ago roughly. She had been looking at various bikes but fell in love with it, I didn't mind the cost, she has to like it. She had been looking at a -substantially cheaper Pendleton but the Motus is a different kettle of fish. Her friend has literally just took delivery of a Pendleton, my wife rode it....and found it felt rattly and not such good quality. So someti es, you really do get what you pay for, sometimes it's worth going the extra mile.

When we got ebikes, I got the cheaper Wisper and my wife got a Motus. This was 2014, and there are upgraded models now. The Motus was a really nice bike - everything about it seemed well-designed and good quality. Bosch mid-drive and a decent range with several power levels. Comfortable and smooth, although with the mid drive you needed to be very sensitive on the gear changes. I liked the Motus enough to ask the supplier about part-exing the Wisper for one after a few months, but they weren't interested. I wanted the crossbar version, though, and at the time they were in short supply. My wife's was the low-step version and I found it a bit whippy to ride briskly.

If I were in the market for a new ebike, the Motus would be high on my list of possibles.

Reactions: gbb

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you've got a 753 framed Raleigh, why are you even thinking of getting some modern plastic effort instead?? Those SBDU builds were seriously expensive bikes in their day, and 753 frames were the very top echelon. Put the 753 on the road and if need be, stick an aftermarket e-bike kit on it. It won't be the usual boring identikit carbon job that everyone else seems to ride these days.

Top Bottom