Meadowhall: No cycles in the smoking areas!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice one Meadowhall

Take the covered bike shelters. Remove the bike rack. Put seats in them for people whose legs are incapable of standing up for more than 5 minutes due to the fatty deposits built up in their lower legs through smoking

Leave the bikes in the rain, just so long as the smokers don't get a drop of rain on them as they puff away

If I shopped there often, I'd be annoyed.

Wonder if there'll be fag machines installed along the TDF route when it passes through Sheffield?

young Ed

Veteran
ridiculous though they were trying to dis-courage smoking and smokers? maybe they should put up some smoking zones that look normal but then sense when people start smoking in there and simply give them a nice shower that also puts out their fag? :evil:
Cheers Ed

The wonderful Adbusters strike again!!!!
adbusters_MarlboroCountry.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice one Meadowhall

Take the covered bike shelters. Remove the bike rack. Put seats in them for people whose legs are incapable of standing up for more than 5 minutes due to the fatty deposits built up in their lower legs through smoking

Leave the bikes in the rain, just so long as the smokers don't get a drop of rain on them as they puff away

Wonder if there'll be fag machines installed along the TDF route when it passes through Sheffield?
Similar near me. Two installed in the town centre, one is a perfect shelter for taxi drivers who do not like bikes in "their smoking shelter" and have been seen moving them out of their way as much as is possible so that they can smoke, without getting wet. The second is placed nearer what were the main council offices, but due to the number of smokers using it lockable cycle lockers were provided alonside.
These lockers are soon to be scrapped if anyone is interested.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a smoking shelter like that in the car park at the hospital in Halifax. I was talking to the porter who wheeled me down for my CT scan in 2012 and he told me that one young man with serious health problems was so desperate for a cigarette that he got his mates to unplug his monitors etc and wheel his hospital bed out of the ward, down the corridor to the lift, down to the ground floor, along another corridor, out of the main entrance and across the car park so he could light up ...! :wacko:

An old chap in my ward was irate that there was nowhere to smoke so he lit a fag and leaned out of the window. The smoke immediately blew back over us. I wasn't impressed since I was only getting about 10% of the oxygen I needed anyway because of my clotted lungs, and the smoke only made matters worse. The ward nurse was even less impressed and made her feelings very clear!

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't know wether to give that post a like or not.
Sympathise with you on it as there wouldn't have been much you could do to avoid it.
Odd they have the smoking shelter in a No Smoking Zone at the hospital though.

ColinJ

Don't know wether to give that post a like or not.
Sympathise with you on it as there wouldn't have been much you could do to avoid it.
Odd they have the smoking shelter in a No Smoking Zone at the hospital though.
I saw several people smoking immediately outside the main entrance, presumably because the 30 yard walk to the shelter was too far!

At least they do have rows of bike lockers either side of the entrance.

At the Rotherham General they just stood outside the main entrance doors. Don't know if that's still the case.

There is a smoking shelter like that in the car park at the hospital in Halifax. I was talking to the porter who wheeled me down for my CT scan in 2012 and he told me that one young man with serious health problems was so desperate for a cigarette that he got his mates to unplug his monitors etc and wheel his hospital bed out of the ward, down the corridor to the lift, down to the ground floor, along another corridor, out of the main entrance and across the car park so he could light up ...! :wacko:

An old chap in my ward was irate that there was nowhere to smoke so he lit a fag and leaned out of the window. The smoke immediately blew back over us. I wasn't impressed since I was only getting about 10% of the oxygen I needed anyway because of my clotted lungs, and the smoke only made matters worse. The ward nurse was even less impressed and made her feelings very clear!

Similar story when I had a stay in hospital a few years ago....

A consultant was talking to a patient opposite about how he had told him to stop smoking 6 months before and he hadn't, and the consultant had now done a vein clearance (possibly replacement from elsewhere:eek:) type op on his legs and said if he didn't stop smoking this time he would see him 6 months time to amputate his legs...... the guy was younger than me....

A bloke next to him after the consultant had gone called him a 'fluffing' idiot and didn't he want to see his young kids who visited him to grow up ..... next visiting time his partner wheeled him downstairs for some 'fresh air.....'

I've never been a smoker but I I understand it is very addictive and hard to stop BUT what do people need for a wake up call.....

snorri

Legendary Member
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the hospital grounds in my neck of the woods. It saves the rest of us from the "deep breath and hold it" routine while entering and exiting the buildings as was the case a few years ago.

KneesUp

Guru
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the hospital grounds in my neck of the woods. It saves the rest of us from the "deep breath and hold it" routine while entering and exiting the buildings as was the case a few years ago.
I found that the childhood experience of being taken to the more upmarket department stores by my grandmother was excellent training for entering hospitals and now pubs.

ColinJ

Even though my ward was 3 floors up and about 100 yards distance from the smoking shelter, when the wind blew in the right (wrong!) direction, I could smell it from my hospital bed. Not enough to cause me to start coughing again, but still irritating to damaged lungs.

I am a pretty militant anti-smoker, but ... I do feel that having one place where smokers can go outside the hospital buildings is a sensible compromise, otherwise they would be smoking elsewhere without permission. (Actually, I did notice a few times that somebody had been smoking in toilet cubicles in the hospital. I can't remember if they had smoke alarms fitted.)

Sara_H

Guru
Nice one Meadowhall

Really? That's shocking.

Cold

I've never been a smoker but I I understand it is very addictive and hard to stop BUT what do people need for a wake up call.....

I knew someone who was a heavy smoker and whose parents and siblings had all died of smoking related disease he had emphysema and smoked right up until he died in his early 50's.
He just wouldn't stop.

Top Bottom