Meadowhall: No cycles in the smoking areas!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Nice one Meadowhall

Take the covered bike shelters. Remove the bike rack. Put seats in them for people whose legs are incapable of standing up for more than 5 minutes due to the fatty deposits built up in their lower legs through smoking

Leave the bikes in the rain, just so long as the smokers don't get a drop of rain on them as they puff away

If I shopped there often, I'd be annoyed.

Wonder if there'll be fag machines installed along the TDF route when it passes through Sheffield?
Have those bike shelters always been there? If yes then they could be part of the original planning permission, so converting them to smoking shelters might not be permitted unless they provide alternative bike shelters. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Have those bike shelters always been there? If yes then they could be part of the original planning permission, so converting them to smoking shelters might not be permitted unless they provide alternative bike shelters. Just a thought.

They have certainly been there a while...no idea if they were always there

Can't remember how convered they were at the sides...might have to do a TPT pootle up by the river and canal and pass by again, if they are more than 50% covered and used for smoking...... (think they had a jutting out roof though so would actually be legal smoking shelters)

Archeress

Veteran
I always seem to find that cycle racks at supermarkets are often placed by the staff smoking area. I've never smoked, am not a militent anti smoker, but I do wish that supermarkets would put a little more thought into where the smoking area is, as I do dislike breathing in their smoke.

Hugs
Archeress x

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Just having a search round about ‘Rotherham’ and this thread popped up.

1. I believe the entire grounds of RDGH are now non smoking

2. M’hell - We talking about the cycle shelters near Argos/Sports Direct? They’re rather open, if memory serves. I always thought they looked a bit exposed to other elements too.... I wouldn’t fancy parking mine there. It’s definitely the rougher end of the center. I know people tend to use railings at other parts

Just c&p from M’hell site

There are cycle routes from both Sheffield and Rotherham. When you do arrive, cycle stands and lockers can be used for peace of mind.
• We have dedicated cycle paths linking the Centre to both Sheffield and Rotherham as well as transpennine routes 6, 62 and Five Weirs Walk.
• Cycle stands and cycle lockers are located adjacent to the cycle path near the Oasis Dining Quarter entrance and children's outdoor play area.
• Further covered cycle stands are located at the lower High Street entrance of Orange Zone 1 car park (near the Argos store) and in the Passenger Transport Interchange adjacent to the bus parking bays.
• Personal lockers are located in The Atrium (near Marks and Spencer) are handy for the storage of helmets or any other belongings.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am a pretty militant anti-smoker, but ... I do feel that having one place where smokers can go outside the hospital buildings is a sensible compromise, otherwise they would be smoking elsewhere without permission.
Yep. If they can't smoke anywhere, they'll smoke everywhere. Best to have one specific place to put them. And remember, some people smoking outside a hospital may well have just received some very very bad news. Who still wants to tell them they can't have a fag?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yep. If they can't smoke anywhere, they'll smoke everywhere. Best to have one specific place to put them. And remember, some people smoking outside a hospital may well have just received some very very bad news. Who still wants to tell them they can't have a fag?
This unfortunately. Huddersfield Royal is the same. There's a shelter about 75 yards from the main entrance, and about 10 yards from the casualty entrance. Nevertheless, despite years of protest from non-smokers, there's always a group of smokers gathered around the hospital entrance. As a reformed smoker I understand the desperation, and last time I was in hospital in 1993 there was still a smoking room just along the corridor from my ward. It was the motivation I needed to find a way to get my broken self into a wheelchair and into the room. I remember being shocked by the people who would come in still attached to drips and monitors.

However, the last time I had an outpatient appointment I was more than a little perturbed to see a woman in a nightie, sitting in a wheelchair with a stand for her catheter bag, doing very little to hide the pipework.

As for challenging them, given that the typical demographic for the sort of people that refuse to make the last 75 yards to the shelter tend to favour self-inflicted tattoos and the "F" word at excessive decibels, then I am not surprised they go unchallenged.

There is a smoking shelter like that in the car park at the hospital in Halifax. I was talking to the porter who wheeled me down for my CT scan in 2012 and he told me that one young man with serious health problems was so desperate for a cigarette that he got his mates to unplug his monitors etc and wheel his hospital bed out of the ward, down the corridor to the lift, down to the ground floor, along another corridor, out of the main entrance and across the car park so he could light up ...! :wacko:

An old chap in my ward was irate that there was nowhere to smoke so he lit a fag and leaned out of the window. The smoke immediately blew back over us. I wasn't impressed since I was only getting about 10% of the oxygen I needed anyway because of my clotted lungs, and the smoke only made matters worse. The ward nurse was even less impressed and made her feelings very clear!

Bike shelter down at Halifax station is the same.... Always full of smiokers.

I was in hospital (chorley) for a week in the mid 90's, we actually had an indoor smoking room that was (for me at the time) a much more inviting place to recover than in my bed. Last indoor smoking room I had anywhere was the Lancs County Council building which as late as 98/99 had indoor smoking rooms (also functioned as the on site bar) and if you had a private office you could smoke in that.

Its odd now, as an ex smoker I occasionally go and stand outside with a couple of people at work but thats more of a change of scenary than anything. Personally even when I smoked I vastly preferred outside smoking except for my own home (but thats a whole different kettle of fish lol!).

Top Bottom