Meandering around Te Ika-a-Māui, New Zealand's North Island in early 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It hadn't worried me until you wrote that!

:laugh::laugh:
I'm sorry ! Absolutely not my intention! ^_^
My fear is irrational, yet it's my most sensitive "anxiety" point. I think it reflects my general attitude to my tent - it is my castle and I still bemuse myself at how safe I feel when inside, despite the fact that the "protection" is so minimal. 😊 Losing that is a big deal (for me!)

What it did bring home though was that tunnel tents like mine might not be best suited to storm-like conditions. If a pole snapped from such an innocuous minimal stress, how would it fare from being buffeted by force 6 or higher winds for several hours?
My inexpert understanding is that tunnel tents are among the best designs for extreme winds - so long as pitched properly and (very important!) the wind not changing direction.
Certainly my old Coleman tunnel tent withstood some serious winds and that was with fibreglass poles.

The more I learn about tents the more I realize how much of the sales spiel is based on almost laboratory conditions.

I haven't yet replaced the broken section; under current circumstances, there's hardly a rush! When I do, I'll have a better idea about how easy/difficult a job it is and how easy/difficult it would be to do on tour. But I think I'll also be looking for a replacement tent.
I for one would enjoy reading about the process.

My Exped tent actually has 5 "splints" built into the design (3 "boots" for poles, 2 "stiffeners" for vents).
In a push, I could cannibalise my clickstand for (temporary) support. (In fact, I'm using a tent splint to cover a snapped section of my clickstand).

The most versatile tent I've tried is the Hexpeak pyramid tent. One adjustable pole inside (or walking pole) as well as a loop at the top to tie off against something like a tree. With a silnylon fly the tension can be adjusted from the inside by adjusting the pole (silnylon sags when cold or wet). In high winds you can always physically hold on to the pole ^_^.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
My inexpert understanding is that tunnel tents are among the best designs for extreme winds - so long as pitched properly and (very important!) the wind not changing direction.
I thought that too and I'm sure the data are there to back it up.
Unfortunately however, we don't always have the luxury of knowing from which direction the wind will come, particularly when pitching near to other structures (trees, buildings) which will likely cause the wind to swirl i.e. far from lab conditions. I feel that repeated, ongoing side-swipes from a swirling wind might have an undesirable effect on a tunnel tent. I really wouldn't have worried about this until I experienced how easily a supposedly capable pole (Yunan SD70) snapped. Maybe I was simply unlucky and it was a faulty component, but it certainly gave me pause for thought.
The most versatile tent I've tried is the Hexpeak pyramid tent.
I must confess I too find these attractive and keep revisiting them. Despite having seen a few YT vids, I'd be keen to get inside one to see whether it might work for me. My main worry concerns the loss of usable space around the tent perimeter caused by the shallow sloping walls.
With a silnylon fly the tension can be adjusted from the inside by adjusting the pole...
That's a really attractive feature!

I must confess I too find these attractive and keep revisiting them. Despite having seen a few YT vids, I'd be keen to get inside one to see whether it might work for me. My main worry concerns the loss of usable space around the tent perimeter caused by the shallow sloping walls.

I've read of this but it wasn't really an issue for me. To an extent it depends on your height and gear. I'd be more concerned about only one door.

The single inner is tight, but leaves half the floor space free. The pole in the middle does take getting used to.
I got it as a test for a camp-in-all-environments tent with as little dependence on poles etc and it is really good for that - even a suitable length of stick will work as a pole.

However, I found the inner too small to be comfortable for a long tour (by long I'm talking months, not weeks). A couple of rainy days and I'd be loopy.
Also, it really needs to be pegged out (minimum 6 or 8?) and that's not always possible. I improvised without pegs, but a passing butterfly could blow it over unless I'd used at least 4 pegs. ^_^

I really wanted to bring it on this trip as it is so versatile and robust but the size and necessity for pegging out made it unsuitable for where I'd be taking it and the length of time.
Great tent for campground camping, though.
That's a really attractive feature!
It really is. I'd never buy a silnylon tent again.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I can see the pegging out issue could be a worrying problem, and even on a shorter tour I too like having the space to swing a cat (not that I have either the feline or 'instrument of punishment' variants!)
I'd be more concerned about only one door.
The single inner is tight, but leaves half the floor space free.
You probably know that the hexapeak has a sibling, the Minipeak, which addresses the door problem. The two Minipeak sizes are compared in the following video. Bob also helpfully demonstrates how a bike could be sheltered within the tent. Nice idea, but given my propensity for needing to get up at least once in the night, I'd be a little concerned about the tangled flesh, cogs, chains and cables that would undoubtedly result. :eek: But I can see the potential.

View: https://youtu.be/Go-uUsjOlGA

That's a new video for me - thanks!

I was aware of the mini-peak and dithered about making a choice, finally opting for the larger Hexpeak 4A. The mini had two doors and only 4 essential pegs (from memory).
Now, I'd probably go for the mini-peak XL.

I've never understood the urge to place a bike in a tent! But I do have sympathy for clambering around in the dark😊.
It's mentioned in the video but it should not be underestimated how easy it is to drop the inner for extra space. In practice, I'd pitch the tent, put in my sleeping pad, bag & night clothes then drop the inner to maximize my space for cooking etc.
It's also possible to place the inner in three separate locations/directions according to needs (for example using the second door).
I can do similar in my current tent and sometimes do in inclement weather, but it's a lot more work.

The flexibility of the design is great. Even down to being able to decide day by day how close you want the fly to the ground.

However, a footprint is essential and rain or boggy ground can cause issues, especially if dropping the inner is a regular occurrence. I used tyvek cut to size.

Sorry for prattling on. I really miss camping :laugh:😢

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
That's a new video for me - thanks!

I was aware of the mini-peak and dithered about making a choice, finally opting for the larger Hexpeak 4A. The mini had two doors and only 4 essential pegs (from memory).
Now, I'd probably go for the mini-peak XL.

I've never understood the urge to place a bike in a tent! But I do have sympathy for clambering around in the dark😊.
It's mentioned in the video but it should not be underestimated how easy it is to drop the inner for extra space. In practice, I'd pitch the tent, put in my sleeping pad, bag & night clothes then drop the inner to maximize my space for cooking etc.
It's also possible to place the inner in three separate locations/directions according to needs (for example using the second door).
I can do similar in my current tent and sometimes do in inclement weather, but it's a lot more work.

The flexibility of the design is great. Even down to being able to decide day by day how close you want the fly to the ground.

However, a footprint is essential and rain or boggy ground can cause issues, especially if dropping the inner is a regular occurrence. I used tyvek cut to size.

Sorry for prattling on. I really miss camping :laugh:😢
I'm getting closer and closer to being tempted. Two doors for ease of access and ventilation when hot. Flexibility of tent inner position and ease of temporarily dropping.
I'd not heard of tyvek; thanks for that. I'd probably have gone for a cheap, lightweight tarp as a footprint, but yes, wouldn't want to be without one.

Prattling on about camping? Maybe, but at least it gives us something to look forward to until we once more can enjoy the real thing. :smile:

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
If you're not already aware....

View: https://youtu.be/WTGDaimUwlM

The Luxe channel have a lot of vids

My last post on the issue^_^

Oh.......I'm still waiting for the next post on the repair :laugh:

Ooo, that's a helpful comparison thanks.👍 And I'll check out the channel.

You've sparked me into action on the repair front. Just made a quick update vid this afternoon on how I'd found the tent, to follow on from the original review I did. Will post to YT shortly. That then clears my deck to get the repair sorted. I'll probably not do a vid for that; I don't have the patience (nor all the kit) that the 'Tubers have for doing these kinds of things, but I will take some photos as I go along and post a written account somewhere when 'tis done.

I wasn't aware of a YouTube channel - more goodies! ^_^

I was referring to day 29 - wasn't expecting a write up on the repair ^_^

Check out some backpacking / hiking / ultralite hiking fora too for more pyramid tent info. There's a lot of options out there and alternative inners from China.

This guy has a good channel too.

View: https://youtu.be/tXJ70rZMYOw

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 29: Martinborough - Petone (58 miles, 2222 feet of ascent)

As predicted, it was quite noisy on site last night. Not because there were eight expedition tents and their occupants squeezed onto one pitch (at least not until the snoring started - yes, probably guilty as charged!), but because of a group nattering on after the 10:00 curfew. And also because the access road is laid as pebbles which crunched loudly when vehicles passed or from footfall. But eventually I got some sleep, until the TA cyclists began to rise at the early hour needed so they can spend long hours grinding out the miles. I took the cue and was up enjoying breakfast from before eight.

Although the tent was blissfully dry, the broken and temporarily mended pole made dropping it a bit of a faff. It was more a matter of making sure I didn't make things worse by breaking another section or the connective elastic. Succeeded in the end and got away before ten. Just as well with today's mileage being back over fifty, including a high proportion of off-road on the Remutaka Trail. It's supposed to be a real treat and another of the touring cyclists’ ‘must sees’, so my hopes were set high.

Medium_IMG_1239.JPG

Looking out across Lake Wairarapa

Leaving the site it soon became clear that one of the events the site manager mentioned was launching in Martinborough today. Cars were parking on the allocated field and rapidly filling the roadside verges. I never learned what the event was at the time, but with the little town thronged with these masses I wasn't keen enough to find out. (Found out later it was the Martinborough Fair) As I headed for Featherston on SH53, the traffic headed for Martinborough in the opposite direction continued in one long, unending stream. Very glad to be going the other way.

When I arrived in Featherston I picked out the first 'baker's' sign I saw and stopped for second breakfast, knowing there'd be nothing on the Trail. I didn't get my normal feed up, as I'd lucked out to find an artisan baker's. The sandwich on a sourdough bap and the hazelnut danish were absolutely delicious, so much so I was sorely tempted to grab a couple more for the road. Even got a complimentary coffee.

Medium_IMG_1241.JPG

Remutaka Trailhead information board

Medium_IMG_1242.JPG

Medium_IMG_1250.JPG

Next it was off down the Lake Road to find the turn onto the Remutaka Trail. At the trailhead there's an information board which summarises the railway history of the Trail, including that you're about to set off up the 7km incline. Eek! The first 2km were up a narrow windy, rocky wooded trail which would have been a cinch on a mountain bike. As you might expect, a little more effort and care were needed on a loaded tourer. After that introduction, the trail widened out as the incline proper began. It was thankfully a gentle enough incline, but yes, it never relented for one metre of those 5km and was a far from smooth surface. But it really was an experience not to be missed. The trail wound its way up and around the contours, with information posts strategically positioned to bring out the relevant history.

Medium_IMG_1246.JPG

Rounding one particular bend brought a distant suspension bridge into view, one which I'd soon be crossing. On arrival and after taking a couple of still shots, I thought I'd run the little action cam as I cycled across. I was so unsettled by the height, I couldn't adequately steel myself to cycle one-handed while holding a camera. Proper gave me the wobbles!

Medium_IMG_1244.JPG

Medium_IMG_1249.JPG

After the bridge it was straight into the first (or was it the second?) of several tunnels. Even though they're relatively short, cycling from bright sunlight into pitch black takes some getting used to. Didn't crash, but did scrape my pannier along a wall once. Reaching the summit was a real treat. There were one or two artefacts left alongside the trail, but there were also plenty of people ... well at least a dozen. Most appeared to have ascended from the other side, a direction which would now provide me with several km of descent.

Medium_IMG_1252.JPG

It was all quite gentle and the surface was much smoother than it had been on the way up. This allowed me to spend at least some of the time appreciating the valleys, streams and gorges off to the sides. The views were quite breathtaking and just seemed to go on and on. Eventually however, the trail joins a narrow road for a while, first passing a shooting range then a karting circuit. I could have stayed and watched the tiny vehicles for ages, flying around the circuit at what, to me, seemed impossible speeds. But I still had some way to go. As the final section of trail shook hands with civilization, a dairy and the potential for an ice cream offered itself up. Yes I know I said before that a single was a plenty big enough portion, but once more I failed to heed my own advice. Don’t judge me!

Medium_IMG_1253.JPG

The route now followed the Hutt Valley Cycleway, keeping the Hutt River company for the dozen or so miles towards Petone. The path varied considerably between narrow, winding tracks and broad, open tarmac, but was mostly well signposted with route information boards at bridges and intersections. Having not adjusted my Garmin route to the new choice of site, I turned to OSMAnd on the phone to successfully guide me for the remaining few miles. I booked two nights for the exorbitant sum of NZ$80, including credit card fees, so I imagined this Top Ten site would be quite something. Err, no. Yes the site had extra facilities beyond what many do, but not in the simple basics - no cutlery, no plates etc. I know it's handy for the nation's capital, but even so. It's not particularly handy for other facilities however; the return trip to the supermarket added just over three miles to the day's total.

For cyclists in the area, the Remutaka Trail comes highly recommended. Although I’d only done about half the complete circuit, I’ll add my unequivocal recommendation to that. The section I did which follows the old mineral line to the summit is quite challenging, but is well worth the effort if you ever get the chance. The scenery and landscape are quite stunning, and the points of interest are plentiful.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I wasn't aware of a YouTube channel - more goodies! ^_^

I was referring to day 29 - wasn't expecting a write up on the repair ^_^

Check out some backpacking / hiking / ultralite hiking fora too for more pyramid tent info. There's a lot of options out there and alternative inners from China.

This guy has a good channel too.

View: https://youtu.be/tXJ70rZMYOw

Day 29 now added.
Repair now effected. Video to follow.

That is a good channel. Plenty of lockdown viewing to keep me amused there 👍

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 30: Wellington Wanders 1 (26 miles, 1073 feet of ascent)

A delightfully different day. No rush. No fuss. No need to get anywhere. I decided to head into Wellington and get a feel for the place so I can make the most of my short time here ... after I took the chance to do a load of laundry that is.

What a pleasant but slightly unsettling experience it was setting off on a ride with nothing more than the bar bag and a single water bottle. The Schwalbe tyres I've been riding have given good and reliable service, so I risked not taking a repair kit. Wellington was after all, only six or so miles away; I could walk back if I had to. The route inwards was almost entirely cyclepath following the railway, so the heavy traffic on the single approach road formed from the merged SHs 1 and 2 - even on a Sunday - was not a problem. Entering this way almost inevitably feeds you onto a quayside, and that suited me just fine.

Medium_IMG_1266.JPG

The Boatshed, Wellington Wharf

My first stop was at the railway station to try to adjust my train ticket to take me right into the heart of Auckland, rather than to the penultimate stop of Papakura. I made this error when having to change my online booking because there were no bike spaces on the Friday train and I had to change to Wednesday. Changing to Wednesday obliged me to find additional digs for two more days … in Auckland, rather than at the digs I’d booked for preparing to leave NZ. Unfortunately I hadn't spotted that I failed to change my destination on the online booking page. Anyway, I received no help at all from the assistant on the counter in Wellington who said because I made the booking online I'd have to phone through my change request. I suspect he's wrong and I'll give it another shot tomorrow. The station building is quite impressive, built in the heyday of rail, perhaps now rather grand for the less significant transport role it plays, mainly serving the needs of local commuters.

Medium_IMG_1265.JPG

Grand facade of Wellington Railway Station

From there I wandered through the restored waterfront which, like so many port cities has been repurposed and redeveloped to serve different needs. Art galleries and coffee bars vie for space in buildings which were once warehouses and transhipment facilities. They've done a good job and a sunny Sunday morning brought out Wellingtonians aplenty. There were street entertainers, a schools rowing competition and more than enough food carts to keep people amused and fed.

Working my way around eventually brought me to the architecturally impressive Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, dedicated to telling the story of New Zealand from a Māori perspective. It really is a well organised and an impressive cultural resource, with a wide range of themed exhibits set over several floors. Art, culture and history of the Pacific and European settlers are presented both separately and interwoven together, giving some small sense of the turbulence and conflict which were created and still endure.

Medium_IMG_1270.JPG

Part of the Treaty of Waitangi display
Medium_IMG_1267.JPG

One of the large (2.5x) sculptures telling the stories of some of those involved at Gallipoli

After seeking and finding a backstreet cafe rather than pay the inflated quayside prices, I enjoyed an excellent vegetarian rice salad and coffee. Suitably refuelled, I was now better placed to head up to the spectacular Victoria Mount viewpoint. I knew it would be a tough climb up. It was, but worth every joule of energy spent. The views in all directions were absolutely amazing, providing a much better sense of Wellington's varied topography and of the different districts and regions. On such a clear day I could have spent hours absorbing myself in the variety of vistas. Instead, but after some while, I went instead in search of ice cream. I found it back at a seafront dairy where I finally learned that one scoop is plenty whilst sitting enjoying the sea view and air.

Medium_IMG_1276.JPG

Evans Bay and Wellington Airport
Medium_IMG_1279.JPG

Looking across towards Petone from the Victoria and Wellington lookout
Medium_IMG_1275.JPG

Looking down to the Central Business District and Lambton Harbour

With more to see and do another day, I first swung by the Parliament buildings to check on visiting times, then headed back to Petone the way I'd come. Unfortunately I was now on the eastbound side of the dual carriageway road, constrained to all too narrow bike lane rather than a separate bike path. Let's just say I was glad it was fourish on a Sunday and not fiveish on a Monday with commuters keen to get home. A supermarket sweep provided my evening's comestibles; something to munch whilst I typed up my journal. My evening's enjoyment was also enhanced by chatting with my neighbours, a retired German couple in their final year of a worldwide cycle tour by tandem. They've certainly travelled some countries (including along the Pamir Highway) but sadly reserved their disdain for Kiwis amongst all the drivers they’d encountered. Fair to say they were singularly unimpressed. I guess I must have been lucky.

I haven't done a lot of reading about bike touring in NZ, but a common theme of what I did read was of nasty traffic and drivers.
I found it interesting that you haven't had a problem yet and doubly so that other experienced travelers had the opposite experience!

Oh, vegetarian food? You'll have to work harder than that to make me jealous! 😄

Really enjoying this! And that bridge on day 29 - Wow!!

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I haven't done a lot of reading about bike touring in NZ, but a common theme of what I did read was of nasty traffic and drivers.
I found it interesting that you haven't had a problem yet and doubly so that other experienced travelers had the opposite experience!

Oh, vegetarian food? You'll have to work harder than that to make me jealous! 😄

Really enjoying this! And that bridge on day 29 - Wow!!
Nasty traffic? I suppose folks have different tolerance margins and I have little experience from exotic locations with which to compare NZ. My reference point is the pre-retirement 26 mile round-trip commute to and from Sheffield I used to suffer. There were few days you weren't 'bullied' at least once.

Although I'm reducing meat intake, I'm not (yet?) a vegetarian. I often choose the vegetarian option on menus simply because it's something I've not tried before. I guess it's a bit like the enjoyment I get on the bike from pursuing the 'way less trod', or rather less trod for me that is. The 'way less chomped' perhaps?

That bridge was something else. The Timber Trail - another of NZ's 'Great Rides', but being a 2-day off-road route, one which I bottled - has two or three similarly impressive bridges. I love crossing these bridges, but think I need a little more exposure before I'd feel confident enough to cycle across. It's a matter of balancing the wonderful experience and superb views with the wobbly legs and heart in mouth!:wacko:
Medium_IMG_1245.JPG

The Siberia Suspension Bridge on the Remutaka Trail, viewed from the trail as you approach it from the east.
The bridge is relatively new; previously you had a steep drop down into the gulley where you see the orange plastic fencing.

My stomach churns just watching this, let alone doing it.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 31: Petone - Wellington (12 miles, 318 feet of ascent)

On the final day you'll spend under 'canvas' before an extended journey home, the last thing you want is rainfall. After a month of almost unbroken sunshine, of course that's precisely what I got this morning. To be fair, it was showery rather than a deluge and the accompanying breeze kept the tent relatively dry, dry enough to pack away if I didn't get the chance to air it before flying home.

I headed back to Wellington under clearing skies and was soon able and glad to remove my waterproof. There was distinctly more traffic about today, but as I was westbound, I enjoyed the relative peace of the cycleway. As yesterday, the first port of call was the station to sort out my ticketing mishap, however, regrettably with the same unresolved outcome as before. The bookings clerk explained a little more clearly than the one yesterday that I had to phone through to a help desk to have the change made that I needed. At this point I could make some facetious comment about interconnected computer systems, but I suspect it's more likely to be a result of different companies dealing with different aspects of the travel service. A quick call did in fact quickly resolve matters to my satisfaction, especially given that no additional fee was required.

With a fully loaded bike I wasn't keen on leaving it, panniers and all, whilst I visited different places … with one exception. The New Zealand Parliament buildings provides free tours and I figured if I couldn't leave my bike parked safely outside there, there'd be nowhere safe. So I chained the bike and panniers in one of the designated areas and booked myself on the next tour. I was both fascinated and moved by the parliament tours I've done in London and Edinburgh, so was keen to compare those with a building which has evolved to facilitate a slightly different democratic system, one which too has evolved.

Medium_IMG_1286.JPG

Two of the three New Zealand Parliament Buildings

It might not be for everyone, but I have to say I found the tour delivered by our guide Tim fascinating; the history, the architecture, the evolution to meet new needs, or perhaps move on from the old ones. It built on what had gone before, yet adapted to changing circumstances. I am often critical of the political process and (some of) the individuals in whom we entrust our futures, yet when I find myself immersed in the buildings within which this all comes together, I never fail to be humbled at how challenging a role it must be. After the tour, I took the chance to have a coffee in the 'canteen', though I'm pretty sure they don't call it that. No pictures I'm afraid; all electronic devices have to be temporarily handed in before the tour, for obvious reasons I guess.

Medium_IMG_1287.JPG

Stature commemorating the All Blacks winning the 2011 Rugby World Cup

I spent the remainder of my time pottering round on foot, finding some of the places to which I'll return tomorrow when I don't have a full complement of kit with me on the bike. As I headed over to my AirBnB, a couple of miles from the city centre, the rains returned, though thankfully once more, not too heavily. Having passed the turn off to the suburb a couple of times now, I knew it would be uphill; I just hadn't figured exactly how steep! This reminded me of the often testing landscape and stiff, demanding climbs around my home town of Sheffield back in the UK. Perhaps it was that reminder that spurred me on to reach my night’s accommodation without needing to walk. It was so steep, I think I’d have struggled pushing a loaded bike up such a gradient anyway.

My hosts were most accommodating and their home (and my bedroom) offered spectacular views across the Bay from the precarious hillside position. They reassured me we were thankfully in no danger should an earthquake occur, the fault line being located about a mile away.

Top Bottom