media Travel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why are sheeple so desperate to go abroad ?
Because they are thick and think that sitting on a sweaty beach,getting pissed and burnt,along with other slobby 'Brits abroad' is the thing they have to do. Two things they've been aching to do since this crap started. Go abroad and hug granny.:rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist, if you want it, go for it!

Life is too short, enjoy it while you can.

We bought this, when I was 50, kept it for 4 years. We are both now 73.

View attachment 553429

I used it as my "main" car, travelling to work in various parts of UK.

We had a matching hard-top, for the winter months.

We travelled a lot of mainland Europe in it for holidays, Portugal, Spain, France, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy.

As well. as being great fun, it was totally reliable.

The occasion my wife remembers most fondly(?) is travelling back from Florence, Italy, with 90 bottles of wine packed around her seat.

It was, in many peoples view a complete waste of money, but, we had a blast, absolutely no regrets!

I traded it for a, more sensible, BMW 320D saloon, not a wise decision, most boring car I have ever owned, and, one of the most unreliable.
Why are sheeple so desperate to go abroad ? Also why do media pish it so much ?
Because they are thick and think that sitting on a sweaty beach,getting pissed and burnt,along with other slobby 'Brits abroad' is the thing they have to do. Two things they've been aching to do since this crap started. Go abroad and hug granny.:rolleyes:
Speaking for myself (and dare I say my wife too), I love going abroad and while I cant wait to go again, it will not happen until we both feel things are properly under control...maybe 2022.
Why do we love it ?...there are so many aspects I doubt I could think of them all.
The adventure of different surroundings, different people, food, culture, history, the panorama, the sea, the beaches, the heat, leaving a car out of your mind, insects, smells, shopping in local shops for proper fresh food, cooking basic but healthy meals or eating lovely food in a good hotel, the list can go on and on. It's so interesting, so mind opening, we have many wonderful memories.

Staying in the UK ?...we have done our share when we had kids, loved it because it was great for the kids but, you're often driving somewhere, seeing the same frustrations on the road, trying to find car parking, dealing with people who are uptight, in a rush, what can you eat ? Fish and chips or the usual pub type eateries which are fine but you if you're cooking yourself, all you really have are supermarkets to buy from. The uncertain weather...and dont tell me it's how you entertain yourself within the weather....I remember going to Exeter for two weeks...and it rained non stop for a week, we gave up and came home. Unusual of course but blindingly improbable abroad.

Everything is a little challenge abroad, that's what makes it interesting, memorable, worthwhile.

Nothing wrong with holidays here, but holidays abroad are so much better for us...and by simple extension, for many other people too.
If you dont like doing it, dont, no problem, your choice...but you shouldn't judge those that do. (As long as it's a considered, sensible, thought out choice, not a desperate desire that overcomes common sense of course)

gbb

Legendary Member
Mind, despite my post above, there are sheeple out there, no doubt. My wife frequents a holidays forum, after the ,lifting of lockdown 1, the amount of people so desperate to go on holiday, doing so, then bemoaning the fact they got hit with unexpected costs, unexpected lockdowns etc etc...and still moaning on the internet to anyone that would listen. Fools, desperate fools....so I kinda get what you're saying.

Oh, and the media...I never listen to what they say. Have some gumption people, do the homework, weigh the risks and rewards...and dont moan when it all goes wrong. But dont listen to the media ffs.

Drago

Legendary Member
The population has become, by and large, a legion of weak willed, spineless, woke, undisciplined, gratification seeking, lemmings. The media are simply serving up that which this generation of customers wants.

Ive said it before, but it is worthy of repeat. If this were WWII we'd have all been speaking German in very short order.

alicat

Legendary Member
Errm?! Because I live being somewhere where they do things a bit differently and where it's somewhere exciting?

The population has become, by and large, a legion of weak willed, spineless, woke, undisciplined, gratification seeking, lemmings. The media are simply serving up that which this generation of customers wants.

Ive said it before, but it is worthy of repeat. If this were WWII we'd have all been speaking German in very short order.
I think you might need to show your workings here.

gbb

Legendary Member
Errm?! Because I live being somewhere where they do things a bit differently and where it's somewhere exciting?
I'm the same. I wrote as much up post but then it dawned on me, I suspect OP ideally talking about those that are so desperate to travel despite the risks, in spite of the risks, and happy to moan moan moan they cant travel, then moan moan moan when it all goes wrong and the media is feeding all this.
I cant wait to travel again...but it will only be when it's safe to do so....and it wont be this year in all probability. A common sense approach is all that is needed

winjim

Smash the cistern

As a nation we're famously reluctant to learn foreign languages, so being able to speak German could be a real advantage, especially on a holiday abroad.

Why are sheeple so desperate to go abroad ?
As a matter of interest, when will people wanting to go on Holiday or the Pub or anywhere else for that matter that gets them categorised as sheeple on here, be acceptable and return to being classed as 'people ' in your opinion.

Is it when the Government thinks it safe or when someone who's barely been out of the house for over a year thinks its ok or in fact never?

I'm in no rush to go abroad by the way as I think it was a ballache before Covid, just wondering when people would be comfortable.

Top Bottom