Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
20170622_101839.jpg
Mine is a sad one but cycling related. This is the headstone of the grave of Reg Harris in Chelford churchyard.

Reg was an Olympic medal winner and 4 times track World Champion in the 1940/50s . Until Chris Boardman came along Reg would have been the only British cyclist the non cycling public would have heard of, so I was sad to see his grave neglected and the headstone inscription fading.

I tried to get Cycling Weekly interested in starting a campaign to get the headstone restored but the editor thought that it was in good condition as only looked bad because I photographed it on a wet day.

Reg was born 99 years ago on 1st March, so I'll be visiting to put flowers on his grave.

I'm thinking of trying to get something done to coincide with his centenary next year.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My bike next to Agatha Christie’s grave stone and memorial plaque.

2E08D0BE-F492-4C4B-8189-0F52BA28536D.jpeg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
View attachment 453431 Mine is a sad one but cycling related. This is the headstone of the grave of Reg Harris in Chelford churchyard.

Reg was an Olympic medal winner and 4 times track World Champion in the 1940/50s . Until Chris Boardman came along Reg would have been the only British cyclist the non cycling public would have heard of, so I was sad to see his grave neglected and the headstone inscription fading.

I tried to get Cycling Weekly interested in starting a campaign to get the headstone restored but the editor thought that it was in good condition as only looked bad because I photographed it on a wet day.

Reg was born 99 years ago on 1st March, so I'll be visiting to put flowers on his grave.

I'm thinking of trying to get something done to coincide with his centenary next year.
I do not know if this help at all but The Good Cemetarian has some interesting Youtube clips.
https://www.thegoodcemeterian.org/

It's a shame the 3 wheeled Vespa thing doesn't park there any more :sad:

If you mean the Italian chippy, then I must agree, it's fantastic.

Unfortunately the guy who owned the Vespa shut the shop and the building is now 3 or 4 flats!

I wish I was on the planning committee - I'm sure they live beyond their visible means

And the Chippy, you got it

gbb

Legendary Member
Screenshot_20190220-204723_Samsung Internet.jpg

Saw this when working in Carmelo, Uruguay, Atilio Francois, cyclist from two Olympic games in the 40s and 50s I think, obviously held in high esteem there.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Shay Elliott memorial, in the heart of the Wicklow Mountains, September 13th 1990. I hadn't seen this thread at the time and I didn't think to put my bike in the picture.

Elliott.JPG

I was on the final day of a six-day Youth Hostelling tour. Wonderful times. I have a feeling I knew the memorial would be there, but even now there seems to be remarkably little about it on the Internet. The few pictures I have found suggest that it's still well maintained.

Top Bottom