Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Memorial in Smithfield to Scottish freedom fighter William Wallace, who has hanged, drawn and quartered by the English near this spot on 23rd August 1305.
vUXcRgE.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I stopped at the water tower, in Mursley, on today's ride, and was surprised to see this plaque through the fence!

DSC_0688.JPG

DSC_0689.JPG

You can just see the row of wooden poppy crosses threaded through the fence, above my bike.

:smile:

I was on my way from Berkhampstead to Northampton, for a change of scenery.. :smile:

That's a great route, a mate lives in Berko (local parlance) so it's a decent Sunday ride

If you have the inclination, you could go from Northampton to Berko without touching tarmac but using the canal - it's one of my favourite rides unless they have been trimming the Hawthorns, then it's a bit longer time wise

kapelmuur

Veteran
IMG_20190301_104236663.jpg

An update, today being the 99th anniversary of the birth of Reg Harris I rode to Chelford to put some flowers on his grave and was delighted to find that the headstone had been refurbished.

It now looks splendid as I hope can be seen from the photo.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Something a little different.
You may remember the murders of five women by Steve Wright around the Ipswich area in 2006 - the bodies of three of the victims were found in woodland around Nacton & Levington villages, less than five miles from where I live. Ever since, there's been a couple of informal memorials by the roadside on the old Felixstowe Road and the one below is kept clear and maintained on a regular basis (including on Christmas Day as I noticed someone placing flowers last year as I went past). Unfortunately, the other one is no longer looked after and is only identifiable by a holly bush.
Nacton Memorial.jpg

Top Bottom