Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found this purely by accident today. I had just topped out a climb to the Ridgeway and was a dripping, sweaty mess. I was looking for some shade to take a brief rest, snack and drink, saw this rock and thought it looked perfect. It was only as I got near I realised it was a memorial. It turns out it is a sarsen stone and memorial to Penelope Betjeman, wife of poet laureate John (who I studied at school). I have ridden past it countless times.
View attachment 526188
View attachment 526189
The inscription reads:
In memory of PENELOPE BETJEMAN who loved the Ridgeway. 1910 1986.
🤞
such are the delights of exploring or just aimlessly riding by bike. The average car rider would be extremely unlikely to discover that.

Twin memorial, both recent, one on left particularly.
West Hanningfield.

And

Fun sponge
War memorial, Monyash. I would normally put multiple images in one post, but I have a question about this memorial and if anyone could answer I'd be very grateful. On this memorial, the dead from the Great War are remembered on the base (rh side of the photo), but it also honours those from the village who nobly served their country, i.e. the men and women who went to war and returned (lh side of the photo) - I've never seen this before, have I been missing this on other memorials?

Fergs

Guru
Is that referencing the opening of bottom?
If you'll excuse the phrase.
What's the bike?

I believe so - I've never actually seen the show (and I wouldn't want to give you a bum steer, as it were). The bronze plaque pays tribute to 'the man, the legend...' but it's illegible in that photo. I only became aware of the bench when it popped up as a landmark on Google maps.

The bike's a Genesis equilibrium (I'm more definite about that)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

A memorial to Charles Green from Little Wittenham who died in the 1st World War.

Top Bottom