Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
A memorial to commemorate the largest wild fire in German history. Over 7000 hectares of forest was burnt and five fireman lost their lives.

The second is to commemorate Germany's worst train disaster when a high speed ICE derailed and hit the bridge, killing 101 people and injuring another 88.

a.twiddler

Veteran
While out on my Revolution Country Explorer on 6/3/21 I came across this near the site of Vale Royal Abbey in Whitegate, Cheshire. It looks like an "unofficial" locally made plaque in the style of the ones normally found on buildings of historical interest.

It is fixed to a fence rather than a wall.

I think the camera lens could have benefited from a clean, as it shows some glare from the low sun.

It's a decent compact camera in an age where most photos are now taken on throwaway smartphones. I still haven't fully accepted having to peer at the back of a phone or camera to take a picture as being quite short sighted I often have to take my specs off. I wonder how much of the world's population of older people is similarly affected, with smartphone marketing being a younger generation thing. This camera has an additional tiny LED viewfinder which I find helps me in difficult lighting situations. It's a few years old now. If it's of interest to anyone it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1. It has wireless capability, a Leica lens and a range of modes -PASM plus several others not usually found on a camera the size of a cigarette packet. It has been quite tough and reliable on my bike trips in variable weather, but when it eventually conks out I just hope there is something similar on the market to replace it with.

Enough! this is turning into a self indulgent camera thread! Enjoy the plaque. And the nice steel bike of course.

Memorial stone to all the personal based at Lavendon airfield between 1916 and 1920's in front of Lavendon village hall .

I believe the building is based upon one of the original huts but not sure how true that is.

View attachment 579468

View attachment 579469
You and others biggs may be interested in this.
https://www.forgottenairfields.com/index.php

It has an interactive map.
Covers Europe.
I always find them something between spooky/odd/humbling (well the WW2 ones) - a lot in east anglia of course - must seek some out next time I cycletour that way.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Covers Europe.
I always find them something between spooky/odd/humbling (well the WW2 ones) - a lot in east anglia of course - must seek some out next time I cycletour that way.
Thanks I wasn't aware of there being an old airfield there .

Covers Europe.

Thanks for that map @Blue Hills. I cycled across one of the local airfields today as it happens.

Memorial drinking fountain commemorating 30 years of concerts in Hyde Park London.
The stone disk/mount lists various notable ones including the famous 60s Stones gig.
The fountain doesn't work of course - they never seem to in the UK after the initial switch on. Not sure why they bother.

Last edited:
Top Bottom