Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
WW1 Memorial, Kentisbury, Devon

Large_Kentisbury war memorial.JPG

Alan Turing, Manchester.

You should see the Battle site at Bosworth, King Richard had to lead him cavalry across a level crossing.

"My lord, I have received dire news: we must delay the charge until 9:47 to allow the Express to Leicester to pass"

Last edited:

Charlie Cairoli, Rose Garden, Stanley Park, Blackpool.

There was originally a statue in the middle but it had to removed fairly pronto due to vandalism of various sorts - so it's now in Blackpool Tower, where of course he spent his working life at the Tower Circus.

The original here:

Wiki on him - interesting Hitler story - maybe the only time Hitler gets a name check in your bike and a memorial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Cairoli#cite_note-telegraph1416730-2

War memorial Slaidburn - at least two other memorials by the same chap, Louis Frederick Roslyn, look very similar indeed. No idea if the towns/villages each felt short-changed (or maybe being canny northerners they got a bulk discount) but I have always thought them fine sombre memorials - no action figures or hints of triumphalism.

Sculptor had a german dad, his name is anglicised. Original name of Fritz might have caused commissioning committees to hesitate I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Frederick_Roslyn

Linton on Ouse

Detail of bench: -

Such a peaceful spot - there's not much there apart from the memorial and some newish bungalows.

Reminds you of how horror and sacrifice came to many a peaceful backwater during WW2.

And that the Canadian contribution, including to DDay, is often somewhat forgotten.

Encountered by chance on a long bike ride, as these things so often are - most car drivers will of course hurtle straight on past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom