Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
20210926_112334.jpg

RAF Manston.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Benefield war memorial

A79FE812-7472-4E3E-B5C4-EFCD83F236D7.jpeg

Horatio Nelson, in Portsmouth with my Genesis, yesterday.

A little way towards Southsea, a new memorial for Peace. I really like this, as looking towards this from the South you can see the colours within the statue, whereas if you take a few steps to the right (in this image), the colours become hidden.
The flowers are the respective German and British icons for remembrance.
This was completed just last month.

2ACAE45D-8BBE-40AF-A7F3-BFD9E2816FBC.jpeg

389DC5E8-34E3-40B6-978A-1465AACAFD7A.jpeg

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Just to the west of Cambridge, I was completely unaware such a significant site existed:

Large_Cambridge American Cemetery.JPG

Large_Cambridge American Cemetery Great Mall.JPG

'The Great Mall' (bike absent out of respect)​

Just to the west of Cambridge, I was completely unaware such a significant site existed:

View attachment 614822

View attachment 614823

'The Great Mall' (bike absent out of respect)​
Is that the American cemetery? Been meaning to swing that way on a bike for a fair old while. I would see no disrespect in having a bike in shot. The reasonable guys would be happy at you enjoying your life and freedom and remembering them I think.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Is that the American cemetery? Been meaning to swing that way on a bike for a fair old while. I would see no disrespect in having a bike in shot. The reasonable guys would be happy at you enjoying your life and freedom and remembering them I think.
It is, and well worth a visit; even more so now the leaves are turning I imagine.
I'm moved by even the smallest of memorials in any tiny village, perhaps dedicated to only a small handful of souls lost too early. Places on the scale of the American Cemetery stir those emotions to a different level entirely. When visiting the National Memorial Arboretum for example, in one quiet corner, I'm not ashamed to admit I actually broke down.

It is, and well worth a visit; even more so now the leaves are turning I imagine.
I'm moved by even the smallest of memorials in any tiny village, perhaps dedicated to only a small handful of souls lost too early. Places on the scale of the American Cemetery stir those emotions to a different level entirely. When visiting the National Memorial Arboretum for example, in one quiet corner, I'm not ashamed to admit I actually broke down.
I can recommend the air force memorial on the hill at Runnymede. Have lead rides there.

Top Bottom