Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
View attachment 524136

View attachment 524137

Lyle Park, east London, right up against the Thames.

A very secret park, damn hard to find (in fact I only know about it, as doubtless a fair few folk do, thanks to departed Barry Mason) and looking for it again a few days before I took these pics I went right past it.

Some interesting stuff on it here:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2012/03/11/tate-and-lyles-staff-park-in-silvertown/

which includes some interesting comments.

Note the date on that blog post - though still secret to outsiders, it's not to the folk in the very large block of flats that now sit on one side of it - such is the relentless development of previously shunned bits of London.
My dad worked in Tate & Lyle about 55 years ago. Mum, sister and I used to walk/Woolwich ferry from Eltham Park to meet him for lunch. I think that's the park we met in! The other place was Island Gardens, if memory serves.

Posted this picture in another thread but thought I’d add the plaque that’s on the bench too

View attachment 525059

View attachment 525060
reminds me slightly of a pretty recent gravestone I know in Lancashire which says something along the lines of "keen fisherman - never caught" - can't help but wonder what the last bit refers to - can't show a pic for obvious reasons.

My dad worked in Tate & Lyle about 55 years ago. Mum, sister and I used to walk/Woolwich ferry from Eltham Park to meet him for lunch. I think that's the park we met in! The other place was Island Gardens, if memory serves.
It's some way from the Woolwich Ferry - Island Gardens a fair bit further as well. Yes London's changed - I remember when Island Gardens was almost a secret view of Greenwich. Any many folk didn't even know the Greenwich foot-tunnel existed - these days it's almost a cycle superhighway - and tourist-clogged.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

MnewBIFO in front of Barton Seagrave War memorial..

figbat

Slippery scientist
I found this purely by accident today. I had just topped out a climb to the Ridgeway and was a dripping, sweaty mess. I was looking for some shade to take a brief rest, snack and drink, saw this rock and thought it looked perfect. It was only as I got near I realised it was a memorial. It turns out it is a sarsen stone and memorial to Penelope Betjeman, wife of poet laureate John (who I studied at school). I have ridden past it countless times.
C6F92603-D40F-4556-A6F6-40780416EF94.jpeg

22B9F3A8-42F5-4187-A61B-8E4967C25B7F.jpeg

The inscription reads:
In memory of PENELOPE BETJEMAN who loved the Ridgeway. 1910 1986.

Decisions, decisions.... "Bike in front of memorial/church"?
What about bike behind memorial, propped against church? Enough already!
First ride since lockdown, legs felt terrible, Garmin not charged so no idea how far?, 25 miles? I have done 80 miles and not had to walk around like John Wayne. Blimey.
Sealand Church with a very simple yet powerful memorial, silhouette of a soldier says more to me than the usual Edwardian types.
My moaning soundly put into perspective.

Where is that bench @uphillstruggler ?

morning @biggs682, it’s on a path between cosgrove and castlethorpe. there’s a weir that is noted on an OS map,the bench overlooks it, possibly the chaps favourite fishing spot

Top Bottom