Memory-Map/AA Points of Interest Guides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Pricey for a list of POIs though! I wonder if there an open source effort to do the same?

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
Thanks guys.

I now have the product and here are some initial impressions.

Positive: it works quite well as a desk-top research tool. Double-clicking on the campsite icon launches the site's page in a web browser. Right-clicking, and then clicking on properties takes you to the AA's listing and review. Here's a sample listing:

Giant's Head Caravan & Camping Park
Giants Head Farm, Old Sherborne Road - Dorchester - DT2 7TR
Tel: 01300 341242
AA Rating: 2 pennants

A pleasant though rather basic park set in Dorset downland near the Cerne Giant (the local landmark figure cut into the chalk) with stunning views. A good stopover site, ideal for tenters and backpackers on the Ridgeway route. Copyright AA.

I don't have a copy of the printed guide but I'm assuming that it's pretty much comparable. OK so far - although personally from a usability perspective I'd have preferred it that double-clicking took me to the AA review (after all that's what I've paid for) and I could click on the link from there. For the price a picture would have been nice.

Negatives. Iit works OK as a desk-top research tool (albeit quite pricey compared with the cost of the printed edition), but Memory Map don't seem to have considered how it would work with a typical GPS (eg in my case a Garmin Legend HCx):

- the waypoints are loaded to the GPS as flagged waypoints rather than campsites. So they appear with a flag icon rather than a tent icon. They also appear under the general waypoints listing rather than the 'lodgings' listing;

- you get the first part of the address only and not the phone number - it would have been more useful if the listing started with the phone number - after all if you have the grid reference you don't need the address.

Maybe I'm being unfair to Memory Map (I've only just got the HCx so I'm not familiar with it) but so far as I'm concerned it's a 5 out of 10 with a big fat 'must try harder'. I don't think there's anything 'better' on the market, but for the price, I think MM could and should have done better.

As far as free POI files are concerned. I found this:

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_kingdom/accommodation/Camp_UK.html

which is a basic listing of campsites with phone numbers only. Not as comprehensive as the AA listing and unfortunately still shows as waypoints rather than campsites. (It looks like there may be a less basic version but you have to pay £4 to register for access).

There's also some useful listings on MyFavouriteCampsite.com:

http://www.myfavouritecampsite.com/vB/local_links.php?catid=8

These are designed to work with Google Maps and give a website link for the campsite.

Top Bottom