Michael Jackson......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
BigonaBianchi said:
**** whacko died??....Hmm...thats a real shame 'cos I had a lot of time for him musically. Dirty Diana was for me his finest track.

Actually, BOAB, I think Wacko died yesterday.

Whacko was Jimmy Edwards IIRC:biggrin:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
The best ever showman was Freddie Mercury. Period.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh, that's the funniest thing I've read today. Brilliant that, mate!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
rich p said:
Whacko was Jimmy Edwards IIRC:biggrin:

Jimmy Edwards - fantasic!!

My dad went to raffle (late 50s early 60s) once where JE was calling the numbers, when no-one came forward to claim a bottle of scotch he just took the top off and started downing it on the spot - what a splendid fellow he was!!!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Mr Pig said:
I don't think so. I found it quite funny at the time but it was actually a very selfish thing to do. Lots of people had worked hard to put together that performance and Cocker was happy to ruin it, not just for Jackson but for everyone who was a part of it. Do you suppose he'd like it if someone ruined one of his performances?

He might've been weird, and maybe his message didn't always come across the way he thought it might, but Jackson was at least trying to encourage his listeners to care about other people and the world. Cocker passed judgement on him and found him guilty when a court of law would not.

IMO Jarvis Cocker was quite right to do what he did especially when and where he did it i.e. at the Brit awards. It was a time when there were still a few people who cared that popular music should have some sort of integrity (Cocker being one of them) and on to the stage pops the odd little creep who thinks that repeated use of a falsetto glottal stop constitutes singing and who proceeds to do an utterly fake and insincere showbiz bit of nonsense which was an insult to the proceedings. Well done Jarvis! In fact I wonder if he could be persuaded to sing at Jacko's funeral?

yenrod

threebikesmcginty said:
The media coverage is so constant and intense I almost wish he was still alive....

Yeah me too !

xpc316e said:
Perhaps he still is alive - like his former father-in-law Elvis.........

Please dont start..that be for the conspiracy' theorists..

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
yenrod said:
Yeah me too !

Please dont start..that be for the conspiracy' theorists..

There will be more to it than meets the eye. FFS, they are playing the 911 call on Sky now. :rofl:

Mr Pig

Andy in Sig said:
there were still a few people who cared that popular music should have some sort of integrity, Cocker being one of them

You are kidding? Jackson has contributed vastly more to the world of pop music than Cocker ever could. Any comparisons are pointless, you must know that? Jarvis Cocker has no right whatsoever to pass judgment on Jackson.

You're trying to make out that Cocker's action was justified by some deeper agenda about defending the quality of pop music? Bollocks. It was a spur of the moment, immature stunt by an opinionated tosser who'd had a few drinks. That's all. The integrity of pop music? Good grief. People will still be listening to Micheal Jackson's music and talking about the impact of it decades after no one remembers who Jarvis Cocker was.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
You are kidding? Jackson has contributed vastly more to the world of pop music than Cocker ever could. Any comparisons are pointless, you must know that? Jarvis Cocker has no right whatsoever to pass judgment on Jackson.

You're trying to make out that Cocker's action was justified by some deeper agenda about defending the quality of pop music? Bollocks. It was a spur of the moment, immature stunt by an opinionated tosser who'd had a few drinks. That's all. The integrity of pop music? Good grief. People will still be listening to Micheal Jackson's music and talking about the impact of it decades after no one remembers who Jarvis Cocker was.

Your views on music are interesting, to say the least. I agree with you on the fact that Jackson was indeed a genius and an incredible performer, you could make a very good case to say the best ever - but your dismissal of Jarvis Cocker does little to back up your argument. Cocker's actions were TOTALLY justified as Jackson's pretentious wankery that night was well over the top. Cocker is in no way immature or an opinionated tosser and has produced (and may go on to further produce) music which will certainly be listened to and appreciated in decades to come.

Top Bottom