Michael Jackson......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
BBC News24 (or whatever they call it now) This morning was wall to wall on MJ.

When the Queen dies what will they do to top it?

OTT or what?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
at least we're not seeing the sickening hypocrisy evident after diana died. people weeping like she was their mother, people who bought the tabloids that slagged her off the week before…

Jim_Noir

What's the difference between Michael Jackson
and Alex Ferguson?

Fergie WILL be playing Giggs in August

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
alecstilleyedye said:
at least we're not seeing the sickening hypocrisy evident after diana died. people weeping like she was their mother, people who bought the tabloids that slagged her off the week before…
steady on! Yes, there was public hysteria, but as someone who passed the crowds and the flowers on the way home from work I think the grief was genuine. Just not terribly well thought through...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
dellzeqq said:
steady on! Yes, there was public hysteria, but as someone who passed the crowds and the flowers on the way home from work I think the grief was genuine. Just not terribly well thought through...

i don't doubt that. but alternative viewpoints were somewhat frowned upon.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mr Pig said:
Actually, I don't buy the pedophile thing, I don't think he was one. Weird, child-minded sure but I don't think he was into kids sexually.
I'm with you on that one. Jackson was different.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
alecstilleyedye said:
i don't doubt that. but alternative viewpoints were somewhat frowned upon.
you're right, of course. To suggest that Diana was simply a footloose and clueless aristo would bring the Elton John Brigade out in hives.

Let's do it...

ChrisKH

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
if she'd worn a seatbelt, odds are she'd be with us today…

And a helmet.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
byegad said:
BBC News24 (or whatever they call it now) This morning was wall to wall on MJ.

You mean 'Off The Wall' to wall, surely?;)

Off The Wall & Thriller will always be the predominant soundtrack to my adolescence, and there was a time when Jackson did hold the crown of 'King Of Pop' even if it was before he proclaimed it of himself, something everyone is failing to mention.

A sad end to what was ultimately a great modern talent who suffered all the failings of a great many child stars before him.

Mr Pig

Andy in Sig said:
I still think Jarvis Cocker was bang in order.

I don't think so. I found it quite funny at the time but it was actually a very selfish thing to do. Lots of people had worked hard to put together that performance and Cocker was happy to ruin it, not just for Jackson but for everyone who was a part of it. Do you suppose he'd like it if someone ruined one of his performances?

He might've been weird, and maybe his message didn't always come across the way he thought it might, but Jackson was at least trying to encourage his listeners to care about other people and the world. Cocker passed judgement on him and found him guilty when a court of law would not.

And that's the bottom line. Maybe Jackson was a bit of a pedo but the truth is there is no hard evidence of it. It would be doing the man a terrible disservice to remember him for something he probably isn't even guilty of rather than the huge positive impact he had on the entertainment world. Interesting how the people who actually knew him loved him and sing his praises but the critics, who've probably only ever seen him on the TV think, they know him better.

To be honest I think that cocker is fortunate that he hasn't been killed by some crazed Jacko fanatic! I still wouldn't rule it out. Lot off pissed off fans out there right now ;0)

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod said:
How do you suggest he went Arch - we are all very and similiar beings HA is one of the if not THE no.1 way people pass.

Well, I was thinking you might have expected an exploding oxygen tent, or falling off a roller coaster, or savaged by a chimp... Or a suitably Isadora Duncan type scarf strangling episode.

Crankarm

Guru
Being a successful rock/pop/icon star is seriously risky. Many never make it to old age. The mortality rate is very high. John Lennon, Buddy Holly, Judy Garland, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, River Phoenix, Johnny Cash, Freddie Mercury, Karen Carpenter, Roy Orbison, Michael Hutchence, Kurt Cobain to name a few.

It's amazing that Keith Richards is still alive being a walking pharmacy ;).

rich p said:
I thought Freddie Mercury had already snuffed it:wacko:

His memory and music lives on as does Queen albeit in a more pedestrian format.

The best ever showman was Freddie Mercury. Period.

Top Bottom