Middle of Lidl cycling bits March 8th onwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxford Dave

I just bought a set of the panniers and a saddle from our local Lidl (Witney), under £18 for the lot. Even if the panniers don't last (I'm only anticipating occasional, light uses for them) they have a three year warranty, so for under ten quid I can hardly lose.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hexagone key
I have tools like that - can never find them (until after buying another)

C R

Guru
Got one of the handlebar bags. It comes in two parts, a "sleeve" for carrying it on the bike, and the inner bag which is like a small kit-bag. It attaches to the sleeve by Velcro. You can mount it horizontally if you need all the capacity, but if not carrying much, you can fold up the kit bag and mount it vertically so it doesn't stick out either side.
If you have a traditional sprung saddle like a Brooks, the fixings will attach from the loops or saddle springs, so it will double up as a saddlebag. Very useful for what they cost.
The saddle bag looks good quality, but quite big even when fully folded. I am pondering whether I should get one or not.

13 rider

Guru
Been to Lidl today and picked up a workstand . First impression is how can they sell it for that amount ? . Quality seems fine . Also picked up a set of hex keys and a frame bag . The straps on the frame bag are too long for my top tube an alteration is planned . The bag is intended for a through the night ride I got coming up just to carry arm warmers etc so for a tenner I can't really lose

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The saddlebag looks fine for the money, but is quite a bit bigger than those little ones that roadies carry their spare tubes and puncture kits in. The reason I bought the bar bag is it is more versatile - as it can be used front or back so long as you have something to hang it from on the saddle. It also looks more like how a saddlebag should look, whereas the bag sold as a saddlebag is a modern interpretation. Being a traditionalist I don't think the modern saddlebag suits vintage steel bikes very well, whereas the bar bag is at least passable in appearance.

tom73

Guru
i'm not that impressed having had a look. They wont stand up to much active use I've a much better one which cost me not much more and the quality is like chalk and cheese. But like every thing else it's all down to personal preference.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
i'm not that impressed having had a look. They wont stand up to much active use I've a much better one which cost me not much more and the quality is like chalk and cheese. But like every thing else it's all down to personal preference.

I popped out to my local lidl earlier yesterday afternoon and came to this same conclusion... The frame bag was made out of very very cheap plasticky material. Everything else seemed alright though but I was only interested in the frame bag so left empty handed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had a mixed experience with cheapo luggage.

My Edinburgh Bicycles own brand panniers have proved durable, although far from waterproof.

My basic Halfords panniers are a more suitable size for regular use, but are falling apart after not many journeys.

I do occasionally carry a spare ebike battery in them which is a dense lump, but still only about 3kg so ought not to be too heavy.

Lots of bike stuff is undoubtedly overpriced for fashionistas but i do think cheap panniers are a false economy/more expensive in the long run. I wouldn't buy panniers from lidl. Spend the money on their vintage cider :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lots of bike stuff is undoubtedly overpriced for fashionistas but i do think cheap panniers are a false economy/more expensive in the long run. I wouldn't buy panniers from lidl. Spend the money on their vintage cider :smile:
I've a Lidl double pannier from 10 years ago which gets used to carry shopping a few times a month and picnics a few times a year. Still OK. Single panniers tend to fail at the clips sooner.

Adam4868

Guru
if its the one made by Westons for Lidl or Aldi - then i can highly recommend. I think its something like £2-3 a bottle. im no lightweight but one gets me pretty close to tipsy
Prefer the more upmarket 5 pounds organic red wine....a bottle and tipsy is a understatement.

if its the one made by Westons for Lidl or Aldi - then i can highly recommend. I think its something like £2-3 a bottle. im no lightweight but one gets me pretty close to tipsy
Not that much!
Branded woodgate reserve. £1.15 for a 500ml bottle of 7.3 per cent. Last year they actually did a weekend half price offer on it :smile: - six bottle limit, i meant to cycle round several local ones but for some odd reason didn't. Don't like any cider I have found in aldi.

Top Bottom