Miles or Km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I don't understand why UK cyclists use Kilometers, do native cyclists in countries that use Kilometers use miles for recording distance?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Being fluent in both gives you a whole load of additional milestones you can add to your ride. For example, as you pass 120km* you know that's three quarters of an imperial century.

Also it's very useful** to bear in mind that kilometres:miles is approximately the Golden Ratio.

I don't understand why UK cyclists use Kilometers, do native cyclists in countries that use Kilometers use miles for recording distance?
Why? I've never really thought about it, or felt there was a need for a reason. But there are probably underlying reasons. As a runner 10k is a key distance so a lot of my running training revolved around km split times. Add to that the fact that OS grid lines are at 1km spacings so it's easier to eyeball distances in km. So 20 years or so ago when I got my first GPS I calibrated it in km. I only really use miles when driving up the motorway. And bragging when I pass 160.934 km on my bike.

* ish
** OK, it's actually not useful at all.

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
KM all the way. And when I rent a car in the USA I change the temp to degrees C - must confuse them no end!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm British; so it's miles. Velominati and kilometres are nobbery.
Apart from the 100km monthly challenge ride, of course :smile:. Which only means I have to break through the 63 mile mark on my properly set Garmin, and then convert to KM's to post on here :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom