Miles or Km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This place is messed up.
The roads are marked in miles but fuel is sold in liters. Yet, fuel consumption is given in miles per gallon.
A pint of milk is 568ml but a pint of beer is 500ml.
People quote their weight in stone, which must be the most ridiculous unit of them all. It is such a large unit that you can take 3kgs off your weight with a little rounding fib. Stone is fit for horses, I say. Yet, food is sold in grams.
Building materials are sold in meters, but joiners assemble in inches.
Tyre pressure is given in PSI but fortuitously, also in BAR.
Bike tyres....don't even get me going.

Let's just go metric so that we can simplify our lives.

This place is messed up.
The roads are marked in miles but fuel is sold in liters. Yet, fuel consumption is given in miles per gallon.
People quote their weight in stone, which must be the most ridiculous unit of them all. It is such a large unit that you can take 3kgs off your weight with a little rounding fib. Stone is fit for horses, I say. Yet, food is sold in grams.

This isn't America. What are liters and meters?

Change your pub you're being sold short a pint of beer is also 568ml unless you are in USA.
As you all know, I don't drink beer, so the error is surely excusable. But, asking for a friend, I, I mean, he, buys bottles of beer for home consumption and the volume is stated as 500ml. Do you get a different size in a pub?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
This place is messed up.

Weights and measures for sale, which are the metric examples you quote, were forced on people by law. They were never adopted with any enthusiasm. People use the old imperial measures among themselves, although mm and g come in useful for small things (thou, 32nds and drams are a bit esoteric).

SI units make sense for science. I did an engineering degree and the American units are horrific. They taught us a bit of that stuff to show us how to appreciate SI.

Btw, I was only taught metric at school (cgs) and I was vehemently opposed to Brexit. But imperial units make sense for everyday purposes as they are the right size, arrived at by custom and long use.

Venod

Eh up
As you all know, I don't drink beer, so the error is surely excusable. But, asking for a friend, I, I mean, he, buys bottles of beer for home consumption and the volume is stated as 500ml. Do you get a different size in a pub?
If you ask for a pint, you get a pint, draught is usually dispensed in pints, you can buy 500ml bottles in the pub you can also buy bottled beer in pints and for some strange reason in 660ml bottles.

If you ask for a pint, you get a pint, draught is usually dispensed in pints, you can buy 500ml bottles in the pub you can also buy bottled beer in pints and for some strange reason in 660ml bottles.
I think you've just demonstrated my original point. This place is bonkers.
Please sign my petition for a new 10mm pitch bicycle chain standard.

Btw, I was only taught metric at school (cgs) and I was vehemently opposed to Brexit. But imperial units make sense for everyday purposes as they are the right size, arrived at by custom and long use.
One foot may be more convenient to say than 300mm, but calculating multiples of those and converting to their next-largest unit isn't easy. Base 10 does make sense.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
This place is messed up.

Or go back to Imperial that everyone was happy with until certain people abroad started imposing their will and forcing us to use litres, grams, and all that rubbish. Base 12 and 14 are just as easy if it's what you were raised with, as I was (I can work interchangeably in both old numbers and metric without any mental sweat, and if a thicko like me can do it you can hardly claim its difficult).

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Miles. Unless I want to brag to none cyclists, in which case I use km. They don't know the difference.

If I really want to show off, I quote furlongs.

Reactions: C R

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I live in Germany, so it's kilometres and metres all the way for me.

What I can't fathom for the life of me is that whilst Germany is a metric nation, why on earth do they insist on only using Imperial measurements for bike wheels and TV sizes?

Top Bottom