Miles or Km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't understand why UK cyclists use Kilometers, do native cyclists in countries that use Kilometers use miles for recording distance?
I've known Swedish event organisers confuse people by referring to distance in miles. Of course, that's doubly confusing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Of course the burning question is, do you say kilOMeters or KILometers? ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've known Swedish event organisers confuse people by referring to distance in miles. Of course, that's doubly confusing.
Traditional Swedish Miles are huge. About 10km I think. Or do they use Statute Miles?

Edit: Read your post properly. Doubly confusing so I guess they are using Swedish Miles.

Twilkes

Guru
I mainly thought in miles and mph, but elevation is easier for me to visualise and calculate in metres, especially percentage gradient, so I've switched my bike computer and route planner to km. It's not intuitive but I have a rough idea how fast 25, 30 and 35kph are now, and in the big picture it doesn't really matter so much, whether it's a mile or a kilometre I still have to pedal it. :smile:

Kuta

Miles, even though the roads I've designed have been in SI units since the seventies (m'way junction 300 yd countdown marker is 274m before the junction)

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have always used miles. However, I'm thinking of changing to Kilometres just because it might cause Jacob Grease-Knob's port to taste ever so slightly sour.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Both!! Two identical computers fitted, one using miles, the other using km. I use miles most of the time, but when entering audax events, the distances are always given in km. If I don't have a display showing miles per hour, I have a tendency to drift along slower, subconsciously relying on the bigger numbers on the km computer.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have always used miles. However, I'm thinking of changing to Kilometres just because it might cause Jacob Grease-Knob's port to taste ever so slightly sour.

It's too late for that now. JRM won't care - his port will taste fine. We've left and we ain't going back! It's all about Brexit smiles per mile now. :laugh:

Top Bottom