Mini pump, yes I'm angry..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tonight, I was caught in the rain, at about 9:30, on the way home. Lo and behold, The Fairey managed to put a pin (yes, a sewing pin) in the side wall of my back tyre. Quite a feat.

Being something of a novice, I was amazed that I could do the needful with the spare tube I carry, but when I tried to pump up the replacement, my Crank Brothers pump let me down, big time.

Well, Brothers and Sisters, I need to get a reliable mini-pump for Presta valves. I like the idea of a hose connection rather than relying on some kind of gizmo that has an O-ring that gets chewed up. Perhaps I am being too old, and retro? Quite possible, actually. Ideally a pump that is only for Presta valves. Dicking around with dual heads seems to give me grief.

Please help!

Thank-you.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid

ASC1951

Guru
slowmotion said:
The Fairey managed to put a pin (yes, a sewing pin) in the side wall of my back tyre. Quite a feat.
Don't forget that a sewing pin makes a handy javelin for a Fairey. They wait in the hedge, then rush out like Tessa Sanderson when you come past - I've seen them.

I like the idea of a hose connection rather than relying on some kind of gizmo that has an O-ring that gets chewed up
Abandon that thought, the lever connections are much better. The trick is to rest the nose of the pump on something solid, like a wall, with the rim and valve perched on top of it and the wheel hanging underneath. That way you a) get much more effort into the final strokes and :wacko: don't put any strain on the valve stem.

Ideally a pump that is only for Presta valves. Dicking around with dual heads seems to give me grief.
I don't see what 'dicking around' you need to do. The default setting is usually the Presta collar and all you have to do is leave it alone.

That said, I use a standard Blackburn road mini pump with swivelling handle, which gets it up to 80 psi on the road. You need a track pump at home, of course.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have a TOPEAK Road Morph excellent pump.

813-2216-main-road-84.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Money no object: Topeak Road Morph G. £25 - £29

Budget Choice: Specialized Airtool Road £10-£12

Bonus Old School Cred Choice: Zefal HPX £20ish.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
phil_hg_uk said:
I have a TOPEAK Road Morph excellent pump.

813-2216-main-road-84.jpg
Halfords sell an almost identical own-brand pump for about £20 and it works really well!

MajorMantra

One of the Topeak Morphs is a good choice - I have the Mini and it's actually fine for road tyres. I also have a Specialized Air Tool Road which is great because it's light and cheap and gets a road tyre harder than you'd ever want it. (Oo-er!)

Anything smaller than a Mini Morph is a Bad Idea for any kind of distance. You'll struggle to get above about 50psi with some of the little pumps so even if you do manage to get going the risk of another puncture is increased.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank-you all for your trouble. I'n not too worried about the cost, for once. I'll pay a bit extra if it means I can spend less time by the roadside.

Thanks again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MajorMantra said:
The Mini Morph is only £20 from Wiggle anyway.
Hmm, I'm sure that they were £5 more when I bought mine at Christmas.

I don't normally buy stuff from Halfords but I happened to be standing outside one when my sister asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I went in to look for the Topeak pump but they were out of stock.

To be honest, the Halfords one is pretty well made (probably by the same Chinese factory!) but I'd normally buy a brand name for the same price so the Topeak for £20 sounds like a good deal.

My look-alike pump lets me get a really useful pressure into the tyre without a stupid amount of effort. I used to dread punctures when I was tired but the last one wasn't a huge problem. It's a case of using body weight on the pump handle rather than trying to get tired arm muscles to do the work.

longers

Legendary Member
Why not just get a frame pump? I'd happily recommend a zefal HPX. Don't know how dear they are as it was already on a bike I bought.

Edit: just read first page :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes i have snapped at least 1 valve with a mini pump after a roadside delivery and was considering a pump with a hose or a CO2 inflator for on the road repairs.

Top Bottom