mini rant - inconsiderate cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So he was wearing a paint/plaster hoodie (I like the hoodie & few days growth bit, that bit is straight out of the Daily Heil), so he was obviously a chap on his way to work, who probably wouldn't have minded you moving his bike.

Linford wouldn't like me, I only shave twice a week (at most).

Sensitive skin innit!

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

You could have just said to him, do you mind if I move your bike so this old man can get past. Regardless of what he looked like, you will find the majority of people are actually fairly stable, even the more hot headed ones, if you don't go wading in being provocative!

The fact you kept mulling it over until you got to a computer to post about it, suggests that it had quite a negative effect on you and your mood, something you ought to take responsibility for.

I was back in the car and buckling up before I realise the old boy was struggling with it....so I then turn off my engine, get out of the car, go move the bike or remonstrate with its owner etc etc ????
dumping your bike in a shop doorway is something you don't do. It is disrespectful to the shop owner, and disrespectful to others trying to use it.

If everything is this scary, perhaps you should just stay under the kitchen table, wrapped in a copy of the Daily Mail for protection.

Claudine....this isn't interweb bravado, this is real life...you don't gob off or mess with other people in this area unless you are prepared to take it to the next level.

I have done this already in the street outside my neighbours house with a now convicted murderer (he did back down) and then took it into court and I testified against him (he comes from an extended traveller family in the area who are well known for going mob handed to resolve disputes ....Ricky Smith was his name, and he stabbed an innocent man to death 12 months later with a screwdriver for his I-phone.

Ianrauk

How far would you truly be prepared to go with it with a total stranger...shouty words, a punch up, a cosh, a knife...truly ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I was back in the car and buckling up before I realise the old boy was struggling with it....so I then turn off my engine, get out of the car, go move the bike or remonstrate with its owner etc etc ????
dumping your bike in a shop doorway is something you don't do. It is disrespectful to the shop owner, and disrespectful to others trying to use it.

If you are THAT bothered that it is going to play on your mind then you make a decision, you either do as you say, although you needn't remonstrate with the owner, you could simply say, "Hi, do you mind if I move your bike for a moment while this man gets past?" or you do as you have done (mull it over until you get to a pc, then start a fruitless discussion which reinforces the negativity of the situation). Your decision has most likely taken up much more of your time than the former and it has negatively impacted your day.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite

In your first post you said the old chap was following you out of the shop - and you nearly tripped over the bike too. So there was no need to turn off the engine, get out of the car etc. as you should have just moved the bike as you left the shop.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ianrauk

How far would you truly be prepared to go with it with a total stranger...shouty words, a punch up, a cosh, a knife...truly ?

How far? truly? As far as needs be.

As far as I am concerned (along with others on here it seem's), you are bigging up a non-situation.
All you needed to do was either ask the chap to move the bike or move it for him and explain why. No big drama. He sounds like a working man despite your Daily Mail description, so I doubt he would have minded. And don't give me all that crap about 'you don't do things like that in your area'. I live near to what is probably the largest travellers camp in the South East, so we do have problems (more with the local resident's then travellers though). But it wouldn't stop me from still asking.

I can't see what the problem with politely asking him if it's ok to move the bike. And I live in a lovely place, since we seem to be doing a general swirl of the nature of localities.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

How far? truly? As far as needs be.

As far as I am concerned (along with others on here it seem's), you are bigging up a non-situation.
All you needed to do was either ask the chap to move the bike or move it for him and explain why. No big drama. He sounds like a working man despite your Daily Mail description, so I doubt he would have minded. And don't give me all that crap about 'you don't do things like that in your area'. I live near to what is probably the largest travellers camp in the South East, so we do have problems (more with the local resident's then travellers though). But it wouldn't stop me from still asking.

As far as it needs to be...you mean hospitalisation, being dragged before the courts on assault charges ...you have done this ?
I don't readthe DM, I don't buy papers any more....As I said, this isn't interweb tough talk, this is about actions and consequences in real life.

In your first post you said the old chap was following you out of the shop - and you nearly tripped over the bike too. So there was no need to turn off the engine, get out of the car etc. as you should have just moved the bike as you left the shop.

Why should I take ownership of a problem which an inconsiderate bicycle owner has created and then introduced confrontation? I could live with it but the old boy couldn't. That didn't become apparent when I realised he had stopped at the doorway after I was in the car.

What is wrong with his thought processes that he would do this without consideration for anyone else using the shop ?

Going for the ban then I see?

I am...for discussing real life and questioning a Mod who is participating in a debate as a fellow member..if that is ban worthy, then that really excluded mods from general discussions does it not ?...which isn't right

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

How rough is your neighbourhood?
a) it's charming, we leave the doors open
b) quite rough, I once saw a chap wearing brown shoes in the evening
c) are you having a laugh? We are so rough that blokes leave their bikes on their side in doorways. Innit.

It's like Scotland

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

It's like Scotland

The subject in question is the matter of someone leaving a bike in a shop doorway with total disregard to others...you expect it with kids, but not with adults.
When I cycle commute, I take the bike in. I'd never dream of leaving it outside...blocking up the doorway or not...the owner doesn't have a problem with this as long as I put it where it isn't blocking the path of others

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As far as it needs to be...you mean hospitalisation, being dragged before the courts on assault charges ...you have done this ?
I don't readthe DM, I don't buy papers any more....As I said, this isn't interweb tough talk, this is about actions and consequences in real life.

I can handle myself Linford if needed, that's all you really need to know.
But I wouldn't let myself get into a situation as you describe above if I can help it. So cut out all the hyperbole.

You know, if you actually spoke to the bloke instead of stewing about it afterwards then coming on here having a 'mini-rant' then you might actually learn to interact with real people in real life. You will find out more often then not that the general populace are far better and more willing to interact with you then you make out, rather then you basing something on just (your) stereotypical look ie paint/plaster hoodie, few days beard and a clunker bike - so he must be a bad man.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Still can't believe you saw the problem and left the "old boy" standing there. To be honest, I think's that far worse than leaving the bike in the doorway in the first place.

Good to see my mood is lightening as I'd have thought you were trolling with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom