mini rant - inconsiderate cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Why should I take ownership of a problem which an inconsiderate bicycle owner has created and then introduced confrontation? I could live with it but the old boy couldn't. That didn't become apparent when I realised he had stopped at the doorway after I was in the car.

What is wrong with his thought processes that he would do this without consideration for anyone else using the shop ?

You could take ownership of it to help someone out, isn't that enough of a reason? Obviously he doesn't care about blocking the doorway, but it's clear that you don't either, otherwise you would have moved the bike and explained why if challenged. The only confrontation I can see here is an imagined one - he's not done it on purpose to cause a fight, he's just been thoughtless. You've had the opportunity to resolve the problem and help an old man out, but have ignored the chance to do so.

snorri

Legendary Member
2812305 said:
Is this a general cycling discussion?
No, it's more specifically a cycle parking issue but includes the Press, consideration for fellow humans, civic reponsibilities, accident awareness etc etc..with a hint of racism thrown in to the mix. Oh! and it includes an automobile, which of course is so often found at the root of problems in modern society.:smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
so doddery old bloke in the way of working bloke you've generalised about hugely ( what plaster splattered homicidal scrotes are up and about at commute hour?) you've got a car and are on the other side of dodderer. Move his bike, get in your car and drive away. No need for fistucuffs or being a drama queen & No I don't live in a nice area, my council ward is one of 10% most deprived in UK with comensurate denizens & yes I've stepped in when a very big bloke had someone pinned against the wall by their throat screaming at them. If this area and the imagined consequences of a random act of goodwill scare you that much, do something to make a difference.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

You could take ownership of it to help someone out, isn't that enough of a reason? Obviously he doesn't care about blocking the doorway, but it's clear that you don't either, otherwise you would have moved the bike and explained why if challenged. The only confrontation I can see here is an imagined one - he's not done it on purpose to cause a fight, he's just been thoughtless. You've had the opportunity to resolve the problem and help an old man out, but have ignored the chance to do so.

He has done it because he doesn't give a monkeys about others around him.....he shouldn't have done it in the first place. There is nothing more to it than that. You are looking to put the onus onto bystanders to sort out the problems which the inconsiderate create....don't you see a problem with your solution ?

The area where the shop is, you don't touch anyones stuff unless you want a ruck. 7:15am in the middle of a council estate is not the time or place to try and educate someone on the finer points of good manners. I didn't get a proper look at his face apart from a few days of growth and head covered in a paint/plaster covered hoodie.....it would have ended up badly, and I use the place nearly every day.
So rough innit Cheltenham?

Ha!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Shouldn't this be in the Café?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

So rough innit Cheltenham?

Ha!

Hesters way is in the top 20% of deprived area's in the UK, has the largest area of social housing in Gloucestershire...the first ASBO in the land was issued there...quantify 'rough' ?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

2812376 said:
Decent people can influence the world by acting in a decent fashion and by challenging less acceptable behavior. If you choose not to intervene, you are effectively endorsing poor behavior. In this instance, I would imagine that the person has never thought that there might be anything wrong with leaving his bike on the pavement and a word could have changed that.

Or he could have come across as riteous and taken a swing at someone he sees as interfering.....

400bhp

Guru
He has done it because he doesn't give a monkeys about others around him.....he shouldn't have done it in the first place. There is nothing more to it than that. You are looking to put the onus onto bystanders to sort out the problems which the inconsiderate create....don't you see a problem with your solution ?

You don't really know that though do you?

Couldn't give a monkeys isn't necessarily the same as thoughtlessness.

We've all be thoughtless at some point. Sometimes, being reminded by others (indeed even better by strangers) of our thoughtlesness means we think a bit harder not to be thoughtless the next time.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite

I don't see a problem with picking up the bike, gently placing it against a wall and helping the old man out. I agree that it shouldn't be down to the bystander to deal with the problem, but if everyone felt like that no-one would pick up litter for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom