Mini V-brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Hi again,

some of you may remember that I have been less than happy with the performance of my Tektro centre-pull cantilevers. I have done all I can at the front to raise the MA but braking is still rather poor. I know that most direct-pull (i.e. V-brakes) are incompatible with drop bar STI levers due to differences in the amount of cable that is pulled, but many places recommend mini V-brakes as a working alternative because they have shorter arms and require less pull.

Assuming that I have enough clearance over the tyre and mudguard for 80mm arms such as the ones below hat is the likelihood that they would work as expected with my brake levers? I understand that they would have to be positioned close to the rim and buckles in the wheel would make them less than effective.

http://www.dotbike.com/p/7668

p7668m01_800.jpg

I'm using on a converted sirrus (drops with sti's), with problem solver travel agents, its still not perfect though. If you get your canti's well set up with good pads you'll do better.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I was looking at the mini V's to do away with the need for Travel Agents. Looking at it now though I'd need at least 85mm arms to clear my mudguards. I like the look of the Tektro RX5 brakes, they have 85mm arms and I am sure that the guards can be lowered slightly at the fork to accommodate them.

And I have done all in my power to get my cantis to run well. The pads have been swapped to KoolStop dual-compound and have been toed-in, the yoke cable as been lowered as much as possible to increase the MA and they are dead-on centred. I don't know what more I can do to improve them, they are just really poor brakes (Tektro CR720).

I see, maybe you need to change the brand of Canti's if you continue to have no success, don't know which brands are best though, don't take it as Godspel but I think Avid Shorties have a good name. I tried just the mini v's and sti's and wasnt happy with the performance and added the travel agents. I had to ditch my guards also, when it was a flat bar bike the levers were powerfull enough not to be a problem but when it was converted to dropped bar the rubbing was just another problem! Swisstop are marginally better than Koolstops but I doubt its enough to make a difference and they wear out faster IME.

Hicky

Guru
I have cr720, I've found them to be fine except once when it was wet.....guess because I hadnt toe'd in them for about 600 miles commuting. They arent as good as my sirius vee's but they still have the standard pads in....how much travel do you have on the lever?

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have cr720, I've found them to be fine except once when it was wet.....guess because I hadnt toe'd in them for about 600 miles commuting. They arent as good as my sirius vee's but they still have the standard pads in....how much travel do you have on the lever?

I don't know how much travel my levers have, I've never measured it. All I can tell you is that they are Shimano 2203 STI, I sometimes wonder whether the levers are cause and not the brakes themselves as the brakes get good reviews elsewhere.

Top Bottom