Votes: 67 55.4%
  • best avoided on TV

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • showcases the best of British humour

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • over playing her ability to fall over/down

Votes: 29 24.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I like her as a performer, but I think her series has perhaps gone on too long. It's become too reliant on catchphrase and anticipation of disaster.

I'm a bit torn about any slapstick - I admire the physical ability, but the joke wears thin, and characters who rely on slapstick (like Frank Spencer) are often stupid (And I mean characters, not the performers).
That's about as nicely as I would put my similar opinion of her :smile:

I'm not sure why I don't like it, if its the slapstick or the lack of anything new or clever, but I can't help the fact I don't find anything about it at all funny. I caught a random episode of Father Ted last week - the one where Dougal decides to become a milkman - another stupid character in a silly hapless adventure, but it was so well written, stupid yet clever and was the funniest thing I'd seen in a while. :smile:

Noodley

nay morwenna banks us she?

Indeed

D

Deleted member 1258

She does nothing for me, the Mrs thinks she's very funny, if she's on the box I go off and find something useful to do.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
She was brilliant in Hyperdrive with Nick Frost, and I love her own show. It's just the right blend of silliness, slapstick and sentimentality with a very occasional nod to postmodernism. I'm afraid that wrecks the gender divide theory - though the thought of a telly show about midwives gives me the heebie-jeebies. Father Ted, on the other hand, was mostly dire. Ted himself was a decent character, but the others were terrible caricatures.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Father Ted, on the other hand, was mostly dire. Ted himself was a decent character, but the others were terrible caricatures.
At last, a fellow unbeliever! I'd long since resigned myself to being the only denizen of these isles who found Father Ted pretty much intolerable. (I did catch the 'this one is small, those are far away' gag on a clips show once and it made me laugh like a drain, but the couple of times I sat down and forced myself to watch a whole episode I ended up shaking my head sadly.)
Miranda I can take or leave - I leave her comedy and take her drama: she's great in the midwifes thing.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Well, Miranda should read your London-Paris blog and learn a thing or two about comedy...
Thanks!
:blush:

Do I detect the beginnings of a gender divide here?
Not at all - was Mister TF who introduced me to Miranda and he's in hysterics the whole time!

Father Ted, on the other hand, was mostly dire. Ted himself was a decent character, but the others were terrible caricatures.

Careful now!

Down with this sort of thing!

I must disagree, Father Ted is THE funniest thing ever. Yes they're stereotypes, but totally relatible to real people. If it was naturalistic, it wouldn't be funny.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
beautiful and mmm those thighs

D

Deleted member 1258

At last, a fellow unbeliever! I'd long since resigned myself to being the only denizen of these isles who found Father Ted pretty much intolerable. (I did catch the 'this one is small, those are far away' gag on a clips show once and it made me laugh like a drain, but the couple of times I sat down and forced myself to watch a whole episode I ended up shaking my head sadly.)
Miranda I can take or leave - I leave her comedy and take her drama: she's great in the midwifes thing.

Your not alone, I couldn't stand Father Ted either.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
She was brilliant in Hyperdrive with Nick Frost, and I love her own show. It's just the right blend of silliness, slapstick and sentimentality with a very occasional nod to postmodernism. I'm afraid that wrecks the gender divide theory - though the thought of a telly show about midwives gives me the heebie-jeebies. Father Ted, on the other hand, was mostly dire. Ted himself was a decent character, but the others were terrible caricatures.
Hooray! Agree entirely!
Good also see Patricia Hodge back on TV and doing comedy for a change.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

Oh good, someone else who liked Hyperdrive. She was good in that, but then she didn't write the script.

Davidc

Guru
I'm with potsy & FF. I like Miranda Hart. Not excessively but like.

Also with FF & dave r. I thought Father Ted was dull, boring and predictable. I've sat through a couple of episodes while other people watched it and cringed.

Top Bottom