Misunderstandings as a child...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dave 123, 11 Nov 2018.

1. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Mrs Dave has just jogged my memory on this one-

As a kid, envelopes would have a printed square in the top right corner with the words “affix stamp here”. The young me used to read it as “airfix stamp here”. I knew they did models of planes etc, I’d built a few, but I couldn’t fathom out what an airfix stamp was!

On Friday I was in church for my mums funeral. Many things made me smile, but one was a prayer ending with “thanks be to god”. Now as a kid I’d always thought it was “thanks peter god”. It made perfect sense in my head!

Aged maybe 6-8 I’d read a book about a character called Bobby Brewster. I was on a walk one day with my sister and mum and I was talking about said book. Only the young me had read the name of BB as Bobby Breastwear. I can remember my mum and sister being in stitches over this innocent mistake.

And finally..... I thought those little white sweets were mintim perials.

Over to you.....

2. Old jon

Old jon Veteran

What a wonderful childhood you had!!

3. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

The worst thing my mother could think of to call someone was common. I spent my entire childhood wondering why the wombles of Wimbledon were common and, if they were, why would they sing about it so proudly.

4. Drago

Drago Guru

When I was 8 or 9, those scruffy unwashed louts, The Boomtown Rats were in the charts.

They lyrics were a puzzle. Silicon chips, I could understand. But what was a "cider head?"

To this day I still don't know.

Arjimlad, fossyant, Oldbloke and 3 others like this.
  5. Bobby Brewster... I remember those books.

I used to think that Billericay was in Ireland (I guesss it sounded a bit like Tipperary) and that Penzance was in the Carribean, as I thought that was the only place you got pirates...

With a grasp of geography that bad, it's no wonder I was never allowed to walk home from school on my own!

6. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

In cider head = inside her head.

7. Drago

Drago Guru

And I thought committing suicide was making cider.

8. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

I thought every B&B sign was the location of a local BB troop.

9. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

I went right through school singing "we three kings from Oriantar"......I assumed there must be a place called Oriantar.

10. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

Grand Prix prounounced exactly as written :blush:

11. When I was a small kid I used to think everything that was up hill was north. Edinburgh had hills so they must be to the north :wacko:

12. Slioch

Slioch Veteran

Tell me why...........?

Arjimlad, craigwend, Oldbloke and 5 others like this.
  13. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

I must have been about 8 or 9 when Sandra moved into the neighbourhood. She was my first ever girlfriend. Strange...exotic...not from round here. Clearly, as she had moved in from somewhere else it must have been England because outside of the estate was the great unknown.
    She also having an Irish accent didn't make me wonder about that logic.

14. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Boom boom ...and that's how they got their name

Illaveago and Slioch like this.
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

Because I read a lot as a child I often got pronunciations wrong when I tried out words in real life. Like Orange Ootangs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice