Misunderstandings as a child...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Mrs Dave has just jogged my memory on this one-

As a kid, envelopes would have a printed square in the top right corner with the words “affix stamp here”. The young me used to read it as “airfix stamp here”. I knew they did models of planes etc, I’d built a few, but I couldn’t fathom out what an airfix stamp was!

On Friday I was in church for my mums funeral. Many things made me smile, but one was a prayer ending with “thanks be to god”. Now as a kid I’d always thought it was “thanks peter god”. It made perfect sense in my head!

Aged maybe 6-8 I’d read a book about a character called Bobby Brewster. I was on a walk one day with my sister and mum and I was talking about said book. Only the young me had read the name of BB as Bobby Breastwear. I can remember my mum and sister being in stitches over this innocent mistake.

And finally..... I thought those little white sweets were mintim perials.

Over to you.....

Old jon

Guru
What a wonderful childhood you had!!

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Bobby Brewster... I remember those books.

I used to think that Billericay was in Ireland (I guesss it sounded a bit like Tipperary) and that Penzance was in the Carribean, as I thought that was the only place you got pirates...

With a grasp of geography that bad, it's no wonder I was never allowed to walk home from school on my own!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I went right through school singing "we three kings from Oriantar"......I assumed there must be a place called Oriantar.

Top Bottom