Mixing components (campag and shimano)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Right, my cross bike is giving me grief! Campag xenon ergo's mated to a shimano deore xt rear mech with a shimano cassette. I can almost get it to work, but not quite. Is it this not quite bit that is the difference between the pulls of shimano and campag, or should I let the lbs see if they can set it up?

Cheers
Steve

bonj2

Probably. You should take the campag components off your bike and put theme either on ebay or in the bin, and replace them with proper equivalents.

Will1985

Über Member
Nooo! Don't ditch the Ergos (well you can, but let me know). If you'd asked a week ago I had a medium cage Xenon rear mech in Brum, but it's gone back to Norfolk now. Tell me a timescale and I could get it back for you.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Will1985 said:
Nooo! Don't ditch the Ergos (well you can, but let me know). If you'd asked a week ago I had a medium cage Xenon rear mech in Brum, but it's gone back to Norfolk now. Tell me a timescale and I could get it back for you.

If I was to change the mech for a campag one, would I not need to change the freehub (shimano 105) to a campag one so I can put on campag cassettes?

bonj2

Young Un said:
Find me a set of cheap (30 quid) shimano sti's and I will!

shop around - i got the ones on my scott for £40 from JE James. think that was a one off of some oem ones though...

Will1985

Über Member
Good point. Are we talking 9 or 10 speed?

The easiest change would be the STIs.
For Campag, I can get you a mech, and then it would be a case of buying an Ambrosio cassette (Shimano spline, Campag spacing: 11-23, 12-23, 12-25, 13-28) for about £30.

Crankarm

Guru
Young Un said:
Right, my cross bike is giving me grief! Campag xenon ergo's mated to a shimano deore xt rear mech with a shimano cassette. I can almost get it to work, but not quite. Is it this not quite bit that is the difference between the pulls of shimano and campag, or should I let the lbs see if they can set it up?

Cheers
Steve

The mismatch that is not making your transmission smooth appears to be your Campag Ergos with Shimano cassette. What speed drivetrain do you have?
The mech is irrelevant. Campag and Shimano have different ratchet pulls in their ergo and STI levers. You either, as has already been suggested, acquire some Shimano STIs or a cassette with slightly different spacing rings between the sprockets to match the Campag Ergo levers. But AFAIK Shimano cassettes have the 3, 4 or 5 largest sprockets fixed together on a carrier so splitting them might not be possible.

I run Shimano 8 spd quick fire shifters with a Campag Record 8 spd hub and cassette with Shimano mechs no problem but I think this is because it is 8 speed and NOT 9 or 10 spd which is not so forgiving.

Why not pick up a pair of cheap Tiagra STI units?

Hope this has helped.

Will1985

Über Member
Crankarm said:
The mech is irrelevant.
It is relevant - each brand uses different parallelogram geometries, so the same length of cable pull will move each cage a different amount. This is why SRAM and Shimano aren't mixable for STIs and rear mechs, even though the cassettes are interchangeable.

Joe

Über Member
What speed are your ergos and cassette?
10 speed Campag ergos pull the same cable as 8 speed Shimano, so cheapest option is just to wack an 8 speed Shimano spaced cassette in there (provided your Xenons are 10spd). I have this set up on my tourer and it works perfectly.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

Otherwise get yourself the appropriate shiftmate. They are a bit fidly to set up but shift perfectly. Great if you're on a budget and have a mish mash of incompatible parts. No need for stis!
http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

We're talking 9 speed here, sorry, well the cassette is 9 speed, is there a way to check the shifters?. Have had a look at shiftmates, but at $35 its a fair bit of money. I'll see if the lbs can get it working better than I can, and then will's idea of changing to a campag rear mech sounds like the best option.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Look at the CTC link that Joe posted, that's Chris Juden and pretty much canonical on this subject

Top Bottom