Mobile phones and driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lochen

The thing with being on a bicycle is that you have more time to observe drivers actions inside the car rather than simply what the car is doing, a kind of 'ah....that's why you swerved' observation. And so it becomes clear as to why, whilst driving, there appear to be so many 'errors' made by other drivers which result in being forced to do some kind of 'evasive' manoeuvre. Be it a minor speed alteration or something more drastic!
I've just been for a nine miles ride around my small town and seen SIX different drivers, in moving cars, either texting with their phones, or using them for conversation! THREE were mid manoeuvre! Half way around a junction.

Extra harsh penalties are well and good if there's some kind of enforcement. A Bobby stood on any Street corner could easily have filled a dozen process books an hour around here today.

I sometimes wish I was back in the job....

then again...........:rolleyes:

Slick

Guru
I think it's best to be honest about such things as if everyone who expresses outrage at such behaviour never did it, we wouldn't have a problem. I've done it, I'm not proud but I'll never do it again, especially as both vehicles I drive have crystal clear Bluetooth devices fitted. No excuse anymore.

Surely when you car connects to bluetooth - there must be someway that that could disable the phone ? - or a speed sensor that does likewise

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im certain that handsfree isn't great either.Driving requires full concentration .

Texting or phoning should be treated even more harshly than the new penalties. Car crushed and three year ban would be a real detterent .

OP
OP
L

Lochen

I think it's best to be honest about such things as if everyone who expresses outrage at such behaviour never did it, we wouldn't have a problem. I've done it, I'm not proud but I'll never do it again, especially as both vehicles I drive have crystal clear Bluetooth devices fitted. No excuse anymore.
Indeed. I also did it, got caught and haven't done it since. My cars also have Bluetooth but now when I'm driving, the phone stays off. I did the course offered. The images they show make quite an impression.

Texting or phoning should be treated even more harshly than the new penalties. Car crushed and three year ban would be a real detterent .
Unless of course, no one actually is there to catch the buggers.......

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've seen drivers brushing their teeth and reading books whilst on the move.

Slick

Guru
I've seen drivers brushing their teeth and reading books whilst on the move.
Yeah, I've seen all that and school run mums putting on their lip stick seems popular round here. Might be my imagination, but I find that the early birds around 6am are far more switched on and aware of their surroundings.

Top Bottom