Mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
When I was still commuting I saw it daily. A cyclist is ideally placed to look down into a car and see texting on the lap or a handheld chat on speaker.

I do not think it a huge deal, although the law is the law.

Until it was illegal I spoke on the 'phone while driving.

I've done so a couple of times since, although not recently.

I've taken calls on my bicycle too.

Let him who is without sin cast the first... OUCH!
well I'm one without sin! sin of using the phone in the road

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I quite understand. I dare say there are thousands. I wasn't saying it wasn't a big deal for those people or their families. I was saying it isn't a big deal for me. It is not.

Glenn Forger calls me ignorant and naive for taking this line, which is sometimes shorthand for disapproving when someone holds a view we disagree with.

I have three children who cycle and I have something of a vested interest in their continued enjoyment of their lives.

I would be terribly sad and probably terribly cross if any of them were to be bowled off a bicycle by a driver who was using a 'phone, shelling peanuts, changing a CD or picking his nose.

Nonetheless, the use of handheld mobile 'phones while driving per se is not a big deal for me. I see it often and it troubles me little. I stopped doing it myself only because of legislation. I still take calls on my bicycle, but do not make them or read or send SMS.
you the exact person I don't like. the whole oh it does not affect me I dont care however the moment it happens to you,you will cry like a bitch to the end of time

you the exact person I don't like. the whole oh it does not affect me I dont care however the moment it happens to you,you will cry like a bitch to the end of time

If I saw someone drunk getting into a car I'd take their keys off them. If they remonstrated, I'd put them on their backside. Drunk drivers and drivers on mobiles are scum. Boris would let them go because it's someone else's family that would be torn apart, people like that make me sick.

I find your post hard to decipher, but I'll try.

My not seeing it as a huge problem is in no way connected with it not affecting me (if that is your intended meaning). Whether it is a huge issue or not, I am statistically as likely as anyone to be affected by it. As I have three children who are keen cyclists, one might argue that I am more likely to be affected (emotionally if not physically).

I have been bowled off my bicycle many times by drivers. None of them was talking on the 'phone at the time (as far as I'm aware). I did not die in any of the incidents and nor did I 'cry like a bitch to the end of time'. I've had a few hospital visits as a result of RTAs, but my tears were few and were shed for a brief period only. I do not think any were shed 'like a bitch'.

I'm not sure why you dislike me. Luckily we haven't met and probably never will, as you are in The North. I avoid the North where possible as I'm not really sure what it's for. Having said that, I did visit the Stadium of Light last year, when Arsenal forgot to play during an FA Cup match. I cried all the way home, but not like a bitch.

Explain to me why you think thousands of deaths and injuries caused by drivers on mobiles isn't a huge problem.

Well... I might be callous.

Or I might just not give too much thought to these matters.

It touches me that you care what I think a big deal. I think it's lovely that you do, but I have the impression that you care enough about this topic for both of us.

I see some idiot using his mobile phone in his car everyday, it's like he's addicted to it.
Oh, that would be me, as phone use while driving (except in school zones) is not illegal here.

I left the UK before it was banned and I'm having a had time giving up the habit. Driving into work it seems you're more likely to see a driver on their phone while driving than not.

Have they also banned hands free too?.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Have they also banned hands free too?.

Not as far as I'm aware, but there have been 'hard-hitting' TV ads discouraging it.

If I saw someone drunk getting into a car I'd take their keys off them. If they remonstrated, I'd put them on their backside. Drunk drivers and drivers on mobiles are scum. Boris would let them go because it's someone else's family that would be torn apart, people like that make me sick.

Braggadocio in sweet union with fantasised conjecture and judgemental, mouth-foaming, maudlin heartstring-pulling.

I am very, very proud that my name managed to wriggle its way into a post with such historic pretension.

Mr Forger, to reach these heights on your first day in CC will only raise expectations to a new and terrifying pitch.

400bhp

Guru
Braggadocio in sweet union with fantasised conjecture and judgemental, mouth-foaming, maudlin heartstring-pulling.

I am very, very proud that my name managed to wriggle its way into a post with such historic pretension.

Mr Forger, to reach these heights on your first day in CC will only raise expectations to a new and terrifying pitch.

You have much patience my friend.

I got bored after 5 minutes.

Top Bottom