Mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I quite understand. I dare say there are thousands. I wasn't saying it wasn't a big deal for those people or their families. I was saying it isn't a big deal for me. It is not.

Glenn Forger calls me ignorant and naive for taking this line, which is sometimes shorthand for disapproving when someone holds a view we disagree with.

I have three children who cycle and I have something of a vested interest in their continued enjoyment of their lives.

I would be terribly sad and probably terribly cross if any of them were to be bowled off a bicycle by a driver who was using a 'phone, shelling peanuts, changing a CD or picking his nose.

Nonetheless, the use of handheld mobile 'phones while driving per se is not a big deal for me. I see it often and it troubles me little. I stopped doing it myself only because of legislation. I still take calls on my bicycle, but do not make them or read or send SMS.
Well lets hope it does not take personal tragedy to change this view.
After all its not a problem until its you on the spiked end of the stick
You American by any chance?

you the exact person I don't like. the whole oh it does not affect me I dont care however the moment it happens to you,you will cry like a bitch to the end of time

It's a sort of radical disconnect. "I've never been hit by a driver on a mobile so it's not a huge problem" repeated right up until the point of the closed casked funeral of his daughter, her face scraped off by a driver chatting on a mobile. Not a huge problem, cos it's never happened to him. A painful lesson waiting for him.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It's a sort of radical disconnect. "I've never been hit by a driver on a mobile so it's not a huge problem" repeated right up until the point of the closed casked funeral of his daughter, her face scraped off by a driver chatting on a mobile. Not a huge problem, cos it's never happened to him. A painful lesson waiting for him.

I tend to refrain from insults on this site, but that really is a disgusting thing to say and I think you need to have a word with yourself.

No, it's disgusting to pretend his children aren't at risk, it's the same as allowing a drunk driver to share the roads with his children. Boris has admitted he doesn't see any problem with distracted drivers, I sincerely hope a personal tragedy doesn't illustrate how pig ignorant his stance is. At the moment he's saying it's not a problem because it hasn't happened to him, a selfish and deluded view.

Drago

Legendary Member
One of these deaths recently near home. Silly little girl, just passed her test so should know better, texting away and augured another car, killing an innocent woman, wife and mother.

And then the cowardly girl lied about it, but forensic analysis ofcthrcohone and a comparison of call data pretty much sunk SS Bullcrap and she went down for it.

In my job I've scraped a few people off the blacktop and you sort of learn to detach, but this one (which I didn't deal with BTW) was on a route I cycle a lot and is favoured by the weekend weigh weenies, so it did bring it home a bit.

I dunno about you, but I find mobile phones a harassing intrusion and always silence mine if I'm driving. Driving a bad enough answering the phone and ruining good thinking time as well. Apart from which, what sort of person is so weak and pathetic that they don't have the strength of character not to touch a little plastic box and fiddle with it. Should you be allowed out at all if your self control is so lacking?

My eldest child is a daughter. We cycle together often (when she is not working abroad).

I find this post a little insensitive and also quite creepy.

I do not connect my sanguine approach to mobile-phone use while driving with the fact that I have not been affected by it personally.

The use of handheld mobile phones by drivers is not a big deal for me. Clearly it is for you, but why you feel the need to make reference to the imagined funeral of one of my children I cannot imagine.

Your imagery is brutal, upsetting and unhelpful.

I do not know whether you have children, but would ask you to think long and hard before posting similarly again.

No, it's disgusting to pretend his children aren't at risk, it's the same as allowing a drunk driver to share the roads with his children. Boris has admitted he doesn't see any problem with distracted drivers, I sincerely hope a personal tragedy doesn't illustrate how pig ignorant his stance is. At the moment he's saying it's not a problem because it hasn't happened to him, a selfish and deluded view.

I am not saying it isn't a problem because it hasn't happened to me.

I am saying it is not a big deal for me.

It is not.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
My eldest child is a daughter. We cycle together often (when she is not working abroad).

I find this post a little insensitive and also quite creepy.

I do not connect my sanguine approach to mobile-phone use while driving with the fact that I have not been affected by it personally.

The use of handheld mobile phones by drivers is not a big deal for me. Clearly it is for you, but why you feel the need to make reference to the imagined funeral of one of my children I cannot imagine.

Your imagery is brutal, upsetting and unhelpful.

I do not know whether you have children, but would ask you to think long and hard before posting similarly again.
Taken out of context alot.
The point he was making is that you're the person who does not care about something unless it directly affects you. However once the point hits where it does, for example your kid dying like many do because of this. Then and only then do you think wait this is a problem.
"A little insensitive", call it prospective!
hmm prospective... ill run with it

400bhp

Guru
Taken out of context alot.
The point he was making is that your the person who does not care about something unless it directly affects you. However once the point hits where it does, for example your kid dying like many do because of this. Then and only then do you think wait this is a problem.
"A little insensitive", call it prospective!

Are you a person who only cares about something because it directly affects you?

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Are you a person who only cares about something because it directly affects you?
the fact that im against boris view would show otherwise..... unless thats not directed at me.
Grammer corrected in original post.
Your=You're

boris, you start whining and snivelling when you feel someone's been insensitive about your children, yet you claim drivers on mobiles isn't a huge problem. Are you starting to see the huge disconnect yet? If it happens to other peoples' children it's not a huge problem, but if there's a suggestion it happens to yours you howl in outrage. Can you see the callous self-centredness yet?

Top Bottom