Modern Groupset On Old MTB? Di2 Even?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozi

I am at roughly 4000 miles on my 2010 Kona Cindercone (3000 logged since getting strava) on the original drivetrain and its pretty tired to say the least so after this winter i am debating getting a whole new groupset for it, its currently Deore 9 speed 3x with XT hubs. Can this bike accept a modern 11 speed group?

Now for the more complex question, i have noticed modern MTB groups have tiny chainrings which won't suit me at all could i run a GRX 2x 48/31 crankset and derailleur with MTB shifters and 11 speed XT setup at the rear?

I plan to wheel and deal and cobble together a load of components over winter so could i feasibly run the above but Di2? would the MTB Di2 shifter be compatible with the GRX derailleur?

I realise it would be worth more than the bike but i am very attached to the old girl and i will never replace it.

Thanks

I went from 7 speed STX to 10 speed XT on 90s MTB, new back wheel required, not sure on 9 to 11 speed.
Kept triple on front for old times sake.

si_c

Guru
I've got a 1x10 Deore M6000 setup on my 2007 Trek. Works a treat, could have fitted an 11 speed groupset but didn't fancy the extra expense on a bike that I don't use that often and if I did would probably get a new bike anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's a Shimano hub, you'll need a new one. I know Mavic hubs will take 11 speed, and sme others, but Shimano in their wisdom meant you needed a new hub.

I'm still 3 x 7 on my old Diamond Back, although the wheels are newer and would take 11. I did change the original Deore LX chainset for a later one as the cranks were tatty - got a crazy cheap deal on a complete Deore LX chainset that was less than a replacement ring, but even these chainrings are getting hard to find - ebay's looking about £40 plus for a 44T.

If you go to 10 you'd still be able to keep the mechs (assuming they are OK). I'm running XT rear mech and cantis.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a 1x10 Deore M6000 setup on my 2007 Trek. Works a treat, could have fitted an 11 speed groupset but didn't fancy the extra expense on a bike that I don't use that often and if I did would probably get a new bike anyway.
1 x 10 is probably the 'cheapest' way of doing it.

Gunk

Guru
Should fit, I’m running a 3x10 on my 2007 S Works Epic with the original 9 speed XTR crankset, front mech but with 10 speed rear cassette and Sram XO rear mech, works perfectly

Top Bottom