Modern technology just boggles my mind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I know it's a really banal thought, but having just learned from the
想知道一個秘密嗎 thread that the Welsh for microwave is Popty Ping, I sent myself an email to remind me. A split second after I hit 'send', my phone went 'bleep'. So in that time, my message has gone from my laptop to the router in the attic, to a server somewhere, to another server, to a satellite, back again, to a mobile mast, to my phone. My kids, I'm sure, would just give me that 'and your point is?' face. But I'm old enough to find it absolutely gobsmacking.

classic33

Leg End Member
想知道一個秘密嗎 thread that the Welsh for microwave is Popty Ping, I sent myself an email to remind me. A split second after I hit 'send', my phone went 'bleep'. So in that time, my message has gone from my laptop to the router in the attic, to a server somewhere, to another server, to a satellite, back again, to a mobile mast, to my phone. My kids, I'm sure, would just give me that 'and your point is?' face. But I'm old enough to find it absolutely gobsmacking.
Get them to send a letter, envelope & stamp, and get them to compare the two.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I get that same wow moment when I top up my phone credit at the supermarket till. I hand over a top-up card which they swipe and then key in the top-up amount, then a few seconds latter a text arrives to tell me I have topped up. The fact that the payment is processed, sent to my phone company who then reconcile the amount with an account and send a notification to the phone cell where my phone is active (I believe they don't send the message network wide, only to where your phone is?). It is quite amazing.

TVC

I was talking to a rep about industrial crimp tools yesterday for a new project. Battery operated crimpers now have gps on board so if they get lost on site they can be found, or if they are stolen they can be de-activated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@swee'pea99 the scary thing is we cant live without either

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I still can't get my head round having over 1000 LPs stored on summat the size of a very thin fag packet :wacko:
Still can't bring myself to ditch all the CDs though. I mean, you can touch those, can't you?

Come to that, a whole map of Europe, with all the roads and little side roads etc on an SD card. Hurts my brain to try to understand it.

Tin Pot

Guru

:smile:

Top Bottom