Modern technology just boggles my mind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We now have a printer with an email address, it orders ink itself when it's running low and gets delivered to the door. (of course nobody will be in, but thats a different issue)
I can alter the temperature of every room in the house individually. While I'm 6000 miles away on a ship. It amuses me more than it amuses my wife.
A satellite phone call is only the same price as a call within the UK. My future wife and I started off sending each other faxes, as the phone was £7/minute at the time.
Ok, I can use an app too, but the wifi on the ship isn't too clever.

gbb

Legendary Member
Imagine what its like for someone who's blind...:whistle:
My dad lost his sight at about 60 back in about 1990. He never had a PC, or a mobile phone and his last car was a BL mini.
We'd sit at his, he'd talk about needing something. Within minutes id say...you'll have it in a couple days dad.
'eh...how did you do that ?'
'internet on the phone Dad...you can do anything'
If he had something he needed to know, I could usually give him the answer In a minute...he couldnt get his head round it, the internet and the mass of information available to you.
Cars have come a long way as well...he always remarked how smooth and quiet they are now.
Music on a memory stick...how the hell does that work he'd ask, how can you get thousands of tracks on something so small.

It all blew his mind, beyond his comprehension. He was still seeing things as they were in 1990

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I can still remember the excitement of getting our first push button telephone. Now I would actually quite like to have a rotary dial phone!

I recall the agony of having to dial international numbers on a rotary dial phone.

Remember, it's unlikely that the IOT* appliance that you have has state of the art security. Indeed, its security may be more akin to Windows 98.

*Internet of things.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Ah, the good old science oven!
giphy.gif

SteCenturion

I am your Father
And they wave a lot faster.
With one hand ..... in their pocket !

Top Bottom