Modern technology just boggles my mind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I read recently of a very good cricketer who came from, and played for, Western Australia in the Sheffield Shield many years ago, but he wasn't selected to play for the national side because he came from Western Australia and, hence, too far away.
I find that weird, but I guess it's true. The West Coast Eagles (Weagles) joined the Victorian Football League in the 80s. I'm guessing it was a long time ago.

But it is a long way. Melbourne and Sydney are closer to NZ's major cities than Perth, and London is closer to Moscow than Perth is to Melbourne. Sydney to Perth is more like London to Volgograd. That's all as the crow flies.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can still remember the excitement of getting our first push button telephone. Now I would actually quite like to have a rotary dial phone!

pplpilot

Guru
Logistics really amaze me. Just in time delivery for car plants, the Mini line has enough parts for 45 minutes with a car coming off the line every 67 seconds.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My fitbit watch just emailed me to tell me it wanted charging.

My hive emailed me to tell me to change its batteries. It knows when I am a certain distance from home and automatically switches on my central heating

I can call someone in China from the top of a hill in the Peak District using a messenger app and it doesn't cost me a penny

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My hive emailed me to tell me to change its batteries. It knows when I am a certain distance from home and automatically switches on my central heating

I can call someone in China from the top of a hill in the Peak District using a messenger app and it doesn't cost me a penny
And people all over the world can sit back and watch the very public slanging matches on Facebook of feuding families who don't seem to understand privacy settings ...

U

User6179

I have just paid for my coffee with my apple watch.

That was an expensive cup of coffee !!:biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sometimes simpler is better.

Like this?.

During my first two years as an undergraduate in the Department of Fuel and Energy Engineering at Leeds University - the common room/cafeteria was always cold at winter. Early morning was fine but the temperature steadily dropped during the day. No-one was particularly surprised as there was a fair amount of cold air exchanged with the outside via the revolving doors - it was a busy entrance.

One of the undergraduates was given 'Create a more effective environment management system for the communal space' as a final year project with a view to having more comfortable winters. He sorted it in his first week when he discovered that the head technician had moved into an office containing the thermostat for the area and had parked his electric convector heater underneath it.

postman

Legendary Member
What's this microwave of which you speak?

It stands on the kitchen work surface and acts as a letter rack,well it does in our house.Only last week there was talk of a replacement coming in.It seems Green is not a matching colour in our house.WTH it works .So i said can we get one without a lid.Why,so you cannot pile all this on top of it.That went down like a lead balloon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wifi Direct to your Smart Telly, wowsers. Just bluetoothing music from the laptop to a 30 year old JVC Seperates system, by adding a £8.99 receiver to the aux in. Clever stuff. The CD Changer is redundant.....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My data plan! So I'm paying!? ;)

OK....now pay attention. Person A and Person B both have the same messaging app on their smartphones. Person A uses their messaging app to call person B. Person A, in doing so, uses some of Person A's data allowance to make the call. Person B, in receiving the call uses some of Person B's data allowance.

The amount of data used is pretty small; 400-800KB per minute for both Person A and Person B

Top Bottom