Mont Ventoux!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Aim to go and look at this in a coupla months or so. If it looks ok may try to cycle to the top (without trying to break any records).

What I'd like to know is what best to do when I get down again. Not far away is the Ecrin National Park that looks interesting.

Anyone know about it? Is it good for cycling in? I have an expedition tourer that can cope with tracks and steep hills and will have a tent with me.

Any inside information gratefully rec'd.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's a great circuit around Ventoux which includes the Gorges de Nesque. From memory, it's about a 65 mile ride.
The Ecrins is pretty high IIRC. The nearby Vercors plateau is beautiful and you can do a TdF wiggly ascent to it on the Col de Rousset from Die.
The pass from Remuzat to Recoubeau-Jansac isn't crippling but one of the nicest rides I've ever done on a tour. You could link the 2!

Good luck mate, hope you enjoy/endure the ride.
Will be a tad warm above the tree line in June I would expect, plenty of fluid to be carried.
Am jealous, a lot. Maybe one day I will get back to the level of fitness to take a crack at it.
As someone said in Death on the Mountain; '' Cyclists riding up Ventoux is like a Roman Catholic doing a barefoot pilgrimage''.
Have a good 'un.

Alun

Guru
Aim to go and look at this in a coupla months or so. If it looks ok may try to cycle to the top (without trying to break any records).
What I'd like to know is what best to do when I get down again. Not far away is the Ecrin National Park that looks interesting.
Anyone know about it? Is it good for cycling in? I have an expedition tourer that can cope with tracks and steep hills and will have a tent with me.
Rest !
Don't bank on it being warm, I was there in May last year and it was bitter and blowing a gale on the top. See avatar !
Take tights, jacket and gloves, especially gloves, unless you're sure the weather will be good.

compo

Veteran

Wimp!

You turn round and go up again.........

judder

Has anybody cycled it in early June just wondering about the weather that times of year..
Also I will be staying in Avignon and due to the distance it seems a straight there and back route.
Any advice on the route from Avignon for quiet roads as I have never cycled in that part of France before. .Thanks. .
Sorry for the thread hijack

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was 30deg when I did it in June but, in truth, anything is possible. Sleet, wind, rain plague of locusts!
It will be accessible for sure.

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Has anybody cycled it in early June just wondering about the weather that times of year..
Also I will be staying in Avignon and due to the distance it seems a straight there and back route.
Any advice on the route from Avignon for quiet roads as I have never cycled in that part of France before. .Thanks. .
Sorry for the thread hijack

Have cycled from Orange to Figueres in June and found it quiet enough the whole way. Even near the coast it was ok although rather tacky with expensive campsites. I find Michelin road maps are ok for navigation altho I just rip the pages out rather than carry the whole lot!

Have also cycled the Pyrenees late June so I thought Ventoux should be ok by then. It did start to snow near the top of the Tourmalet but the rest of time it was just rain. (Am exaggerating slightly, it tended to be sunny in the mornings and rain in the afternoons, just in time to soak our shoes, newly dried from the day before..) Superb cycling area even so.

montage

God Almighty
Watching this thread with interest - I'm planning on a weeks stay in the area, with one day doing the three ascents of Ventoux. My main worry is how interesting the surrounding area is for riding other days, and if it is a dull region for those coming who do not plan on riding.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I did Ventoux in early May and it wasn't too cold, although past the chalet there were snowdrifts beside the road in shady places. I was getting quite warm, so I was quite glad of somewhere chilly to sit.
Gorges de Nesque is well worth a ride - if you're staying in / near Bedoin then up the gorge to Sault, climb to Chalet Reynard and back down to Bedoin would make for an easy-ish day. Well, easier than doing all three roads up Ventoux, anyhow

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Thanks to all. We never made it to Ventoux but instead went further north and did a nice little tour of the Ecrins area including a few famous cols and some not so famous.

The first base was at St Jean de Maurienne, a town with a mix of tourism and industry and a very civilised municipal campsite with helpful staff. It is the home of the Opinel

P1030016_zps33ce21df.jpg

We did a modest circuit the first day, climbing La Toussuire (a ski village) and the Col du Mollard the descent from which had more hairpins than Nora Batty.

Next day the Col de Madeleine was our goal. The D213 from la Chambre looked a bit boring so I took the back road from Hermillon, taking in the Col de Chaussy and Lac de Loup en route. It was a lovely, quiet and windy route that turned into a rough track some way before the main road. Harder but definitely recommended even for road bikes.

P1030042_zps68f5a728.jpg

Having tested our legs we then set off on a circular tour, first heading for Valloire, a fairly short and very steep day's ride taking in a rough track shortly before the town. It was definitely not for road bikes and on leaving the track there is a warning not to stop lest rocks fall on your head.. thanks guys.

P1030053_zps3f4d8740.jpg

Valloire is another ski town with a perfectly good if bland campsite.

The next day we planned to cross the col de Galibier. It started off cloudy and as we climbed, the low cloud turned to drizzle then sleet and finally driving snow. It's not a col to be trifled with.

P1030058_zpscc202c66.jpg

By the time I reached the top I was pretty soaked if not cold and took a hasty photo before diving towards the cafe just beyond, before I froze.

P1030059_zpsf74f78e0.jpg

It was full of strangely dry cyclists who had been driven up in order to cycle down. They missed the fun bit! 2 cups of chocolate later I emerged still soaked but a little warmer to make the very long 35 km descent to Briancon. It was hard not to shiver at first but soon the air warmed, the sun broke through and by the outskirts of Briancon I felt nearly dry again.

The attractions of Briancon are not obvious but the camp site was ok. On arrival I found the army were searching it which was off-putting but they soon left, apparently empty handed. Drugs? Anarchists with bombs? Just an exercise? Who knows.

P1030061_zpsa9f86bff.jpg

According to our guide, the next day was so easy it was a 'rest day'. Someone was having a laugh, although not as testing as the Galibier it had its fair share of climbing, much of it in full sun.

P1030074_zpsde8b9390.jpg

Our campsite in Embrun was very much a static caravan site with scant provision for tents. Hindsight says had we searched further we could have done better but the heat and the town's hills did not encourage exploration.

Next days route followed the 2013 TdF time trial from Embrun. A long climb up pleasant almost deserted roads with fine views over Europe's largest artificial lake. After Chorges was another long and steep climb took us over the col de Moissiere then down into St Bonnet for the night. They breed very fine mosquitos at St Bonnet..

P1030096_zpsf650dcf7.jpg

Spurred on by these beasties we made an early start next day on pleasant roads over the Col de Parquetout

P1030118_zpsf023f731.jpg

towards le Bourg d'Oisans via the Col d'Ornon. At this point the road was no longer deserted and there was a sudden influx of other cyclists of all nationalities. It became quite a party and being on a laden tourer I was constantly overtaken by carbon fibre all the way to the top. A kind American lady in a support vehicle offered me a choice of refreshments en route and the summit was a mass of bicycles by the time I got there. The descent into le Bourg it a very fine one although it can be spoiled by slow motorists!

On arrival it was clear that Le Bourg was a cyclists' town. More cycle shops than you can imagine and no need to feel conspicuous in lycra as nearly everyone seemed to be wearing it this year. Plenty of camp sites although all were busy.

As a slight diversion we had intended to climb the Alpe d'Huez next day but the rain fell and the clouds were low. It was very disappointing as we could have left our baggage at the camp site and climbed unladen but there was no sign of a let up so we stayed put. After this, and the poor visibility on the Galibier, we surely deserved better weather for our next ascent, of the Col du Glandon and the Col de la Croix de Fer.

Our wishes were granted: the sun shone and there was a light breeze next day. Perfect weather for a very long climb in beautiful scenery:

P1030135_zps81461210.jpg

P1030136_zps89db8f8c.jpg

P1030138_zpsedc97696.jpg

After that it was all down hill: 29 km back to our vehicle at St Jean de Maurienne.

P1030141_zpsd93cbd6e.jpg

The tour was over. Maybe we'll try Ventoux next year..

Rapples

Guru
Thanks to all. We never made it to Ventoux but instead went further north and did a nice little tour of the Ecrins area including a few famous cols and some not so famous.
.....snip.....
The tour was over. Maybe we'll try Ventoux next year..

You made a mistake, but you can always put it right next year. If you don't shed a little tear when you reach the top, you're of a man than I am.^_^

Top Bottom