More First World Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
When I buy a couple of tins of lager from the shop, they look lovely and cool with little drops of condensation on the tin. But when I put them in my fridge, within a couple of hours all that condensation is gone, and it's not as cold. However, when, I put one in the freeze, it started to freeze solid. I thought the alcohol might have saved it from freezing, but it didn't. How do I keep my beer appropriately cool?

When I buy a couple of tins of lager from the shop, they look lovely and cool with little drops of condensation on the tin. But when I put them in my fridge, within a couple of hours all that condensation is gone, and it's not as cold. However, when, I put one in the freeze, it started to freeze solid. I thought the alcohol might have saved it from freezing, but it didn't. How do I keep my beer appropriately cool?
You can use your ‘beer freezes’ discovery, to make your beer stronger. The water freezes before the alcohol, and sinks. If you skim off the alcoholy bit, it will be of a much higher ABV.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Put some shades on it and a backwards-facing baseball cap.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are you not mistakenly confusing the condensation effect with the actual coldness?
Condensation is an indication of moist air and can occur when there is a temperature difference. It is likely that your fridge is as cold or colder than the shop drinks chiller but is just much less moist due to design and less regular opening of the door. Also, the wet cans may feel colder to the touch as the water droplets will help form a more efficient heat transfer to rob the heat from your hand and transfer it into the chilled can, thereby giving you a cold aching hand and beer that warms up more quickly than a dry can!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Drink em outside the shop. :cheers:
Preferably with your shirt off revealing a very white torso.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
In the shop the fridges are usually not sealed, or not very well. The armer ambient air hits the cold can so you get condensation. Also the ambient air is moist. In your home fridge, it is sealed so no ambient air can hit the outside of the can. If you wrap the can in a piece of damp kitchen roll, it woill cool faster. This also works in the freezer, and if you submerge the can in iced salt water.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I spent 40 years trying to work out the answer but finally I had to admit defeat and gave up drinking instead! :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Buy a thermometer and an RH meter and take readings in your drinking den. For added geekiness, you might wish to get a barometer too.
psychrometric_chart_29Hg_thumb.png
Using a psychrometric chart, you can calculate the dew-point temperature that will make condensation form on the outside of the glass/can. Set the fridge to that temperature and gargle away.

Top Bottom